Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How do I report rental income in the state of Utah if I live in Kansas?

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

How do I report rental income in the state of Utah if I live in Kansas?

You will file a nonresident return to Utah.  Utah requires a nonresident to file a return on income produced (or derived) from Utah, which would be the rental income.  (If your rental is a loss, you will not be required to file a Utah return).  Here is a web page from Utah's State Tax Commission on this requirement:

To avoid double-tax, you will prepare the Utah return first in TurboTax.  Then, you will prepare your Kansas return so that you will receive credit on the taxes you must pay to Utah.  Here is an FAQ that will further assist you:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies