Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report payment by insurance company for damages to my rental property?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
view2

Insurance payment are suppose to be a wash , only restore your property to the condition it was before the claim.

If the insurance payment was not enough to cover the  damages , you only expense the out of pocket cost that the insurance did not cover.

If you receive insurance reimbursement that is more than  the destroyed or damaged property, you may actually have a gain[ taxable income.]

If you had a special insurance rider: and the insurance payment also covered lost  rental income that amount which will be listed on the itemize insurance payout is claimed as rent.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
view2

Insurance payment are suppose to be a wash , only restore your property to the condition it was before the claim.

If the insurance payment was not enough to cover the  damages , you only expense the out of pocket cost that the insurance did not cover.

If you receive insurance reimbursement that is more than  the destroyed or damaged property, you may actually have a gain[ taxable income.]

If you had a special insurance rider: and the insurance payment also covered lost  rental income that amount which will be listed on the itemize insurance payout is claimed as rent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies