turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I handle the rental income if my foreign owned house was converted to rental after being empty for first half of the year ?

I have 58 year old  single family house which was empty for the last several years and I gave that for a rent . Should I select the option of 'converting' or 'first year rented' ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

How do I handle the rental income if my foreign owned house was converted to rental after being empty for first half of the year ?

Since you did not use the house as a primary residence you will select only "first year rented".

If a house was used as a primary residence and then converted to a rental during the year you would select both options.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks.

How do I handle the depreciation in the turbo tax . For example: Bough 60 year old house in 2005 for ( let us say) 100000$  and started renting it starting Jan 2020.

Should I depreciate it starting Jan 2020 ?

DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, the depreciation would start when you placed the rental home in service (started to offer it for rent).

The starting point for basis for depreciation is the lower of (1) the adjusted basis on the date of conversion, or (2) the property’s fair market value (FMV) at the time of conversion. 

Please see Publication 527 (2020), Residential Rental Property Cost Basis for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies