Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

how do I determine FMV for properties inherited in Oct. 2020 - then sold in 2021?

3 condo/apartments - all investment properties - supposed to use date inherited (October 2020) to determine value of each..

planning to use tax assessed value for 2021 or possibly an average of 2019, 2020, 2021 - or maybe just average of 2020-21

is there a best way to determine FMV? 

title transferred at sale to new buyers - never assumed ownership, HOA dues, mortgage payments, etc. at the time inherited.

sales were in May, July, and November 2021 - received Form 1099-S for each property - no K-1's

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

how do I determine FMV for properties inherited in Oct. 2020 - then sold in 2021?

Please clarify your statement "title transferred at sale to new buyers - never assumed ownership," What do you mean by that? Was the title to these properties never transferred to you?

I ask, because if not, then you didn't inherit it. I suspect more than likely that the property(s) were placed in an estate after the original owner(s) passed, and then sold. That would mean the sale would be reported on the 1041 estate tax return.

The best way is to have the property(s) appraised by a licensed, qualified, certified property appraiser as soon as possible upon the passing of the original owner. The IRS will not challenge that.

planning to use tax assessed value for 2021

You can't do that and I would highly discourage it if you could. The property tax appraisal value is almost always "at least" 30% below the FMV of the property. Using the tax value results in a higher taxable gain on the sale when you do that.

More than likely the bank that approved the loan for the buyer required an appraisal on the property. If you can get that, (it might even be in the package you received at the closing on the sale) then that's your proof of FMV and is the figure you should use as the cost basis for reporting the sale.

@Piper22 wrote:

In most instances, you would need the FMV as of the date of death of the decedent to establish the basis in the property (whether title immediately in the heirs or became estate property) and the optimum is to retain a certified real estate appraiser.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies