turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I deduct the expense of demolition of a building on a rental property to improve it to put it on market later on

I was ordered by the city to have an old building demolished, can I deduct this expense ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I deduct the expense of demolition of a building on a rental property to improve it to put it on market later on

In the case of the demolition of any structure, no deduction is allowed to the owner or lessee of the structure for any amount expended for the demolition or any loss sustained as a result of the demolition. Instead, such amounts are added to the cost of the land on which the structure was located per I.R.C. § 280B. Thus, the tax life of the adjusted basis of the demolished building goes on, now as in nondepreciable land. Other than a historical building or hazmat removal, the only other rules that might help are those of the “Partial Demolition”safe harbor rules in Rev. Proc. 95-27, 1995-1 C.B. 704. The safe harbor rules require:

Seventy-five percent or more of the existing external walls of the building remain in place as internal or external walls; and
Seventy-five percent or more of the existing internal structural framework of the building remains in place.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

In the case of the demolition of any structure, no deduction is allowed to the owner or lessee of the structure for any amount expended for the demolition or any loss sustained as a result of the demolition. Instead, such amounts are added to the cost of the land on which the structure was located per I.R.C. § 280B. Thus, the tax life of the adjusted basis of the demolished building goes on, now as in nondepreciable land. Other than a historical building or hazmat removal, the only other rules that might help are those of the “Partial Demolition”safe harbor rules in Rev. Proc. 95-27, 1995-1 C.B. 704. The safe harbor rules require:

Seventy-five percent or more of the existing external walls of the building remain in place as internal or external walls; and
Seventy-five percent or more of the existing internal structural framework of the building remains in place.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies