Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I correctly enter Sch K-1, Box 20, Code Z, Section 199A information? Section 199A has Net rental real estate income (loss) and Qualified property.

On Schedule K-1, Box 20, I have codes N, Z, and AG. A statement is provided showing one value for N, two values for AG (for 2021 and 2020). Schedule K-1, Box 20, Code Z - Section 199A information shows values for Net rental real estate income (loss) and Qualified property. It seems that I get this information entered, and the Net rental real estate income (loss) value shows up on the Z line when TT asks me to "check this entry," but TT keeps flagging this with the message "Sch K-1 Wks-Partnership (Company Name): Box 20 Code Z has been selected but no Section 199A income has been entered on Statement A." and " * Not provided for in program. Manually enter on appropriate tax form." The information appears correct to me, but TT will not allow me to file as it continues to flag this as an error or incomplete information.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

How do I correctly enter Sch K-1, Box 20, Code Z, Section 199A information? Section 199A has Net rental real estate income (loss) and Qualified property.

I think you need to enter 199A income at the screen We need some information about your 199A income.

Click the box to the left of partnership has business income (loss) and the Rental income (loss) entry box will appear.

Entering the appropriate 199A income should clear the error.

@rnlancaster 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

13 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I think you need to enter 199A income at the screen We need some information about your 199A income.

Click the box to the left of partnership has business income (loss) and the Rental income (loss) entry box will appear.

Entering the appropriate 199A income should clear the error.

@rnlancaster 

My K-1 has two sets of numbers for my Section 199A Information, Box 20, Code Z. The top set of numbers has a heading of "QUALIFIED (NON-SSTB) and the lower set of numbers has a heading of "SPECIFIED SERVICE" and second line of "X - SSTB"

Each set of numbers includes amounts for Income, Wages, and UBIA. Do I only enter the top set of numbers when answering the 199A section in Turbo Tax or do I total the upper and lower amounts together for each category?

Also, when I enter code Z for Box 20, do I leave the amount blank in that section of the interview?

If approximately 20% of the income is SSTB, should the SSTB checkbox on the 1065 form end up being checked or unchecked?

Thanks for any help here!

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

No, because your Schedule K-1 has two sets of income amounts--one which appears to be income related to a specialized service trade or business and one which is not a sstb--enter two Schedule K-1s.  One Schedule K-1 will have your box 20 amount that is Non-SSTB, and the second Schedule K-1 will reflect your income that is a SSTB.  

Depending on your income and from a tax perspective, the qualified business income deduction may not be impacted with your SSTB income.  However, adding the amounts together may produce an unintended result, thus, keep them separate by entering two Schedule K-1s.  All of the other amounts you reference in your post, i.e., income, wages, and UBIA, should be entered on their respective Schedule K-1. 

@Lynn78 

If I break the K-1 into 2 K-1's (1 for Qualified and 1 for SSTB), do I split all the amounts from lines 1 - 21 based on the income percentage of the 199A information? It seems like I was able to enter a qualified percentage for K1's in previous years, but maybe it was a year when I had a high income.

Not necessarily, it is because the Section 199A income which is categorized as sstb income vs. non sstb income for the purpose of figuring out your qualified business income deduction is already reported on one of the k-1's. As long as you have the rest of the information, on one K-1, you will be fine. 

jcas3

My K-1 has Box 20 Code Z which contains STMT - not a value.  As I go through the TT interview for K-1s I enter that Box 20 has a code Z and I leave the value in TT blank.  It then leads me though questions about Box 20 code Z which I answer.  I enter the values in Wages and Qualified Property.  Answer the remaining TT questions about this K-1. But when I try to efile TT says I have an error because I have box 20 code Z with no entry.

HopeS
Expert Alumni

Review your K-1 Box 20 to make sure you only select the boxes for the lines you have amounts entered. Uncheck any boxes that have no value.

To review your entries from your this K-1, open your return and click the Forms icon in the TurboTax header.

1. Look for K-1 Partner in the left column. Click the form name to open it in the large window.
  2. Scroll down to Line 20 to confirm your entries for this box.
  3. Section A below Line 21 provides input lines for the Statement A information. Complete this section to allow the info to flow to the partners'' K-1s.
  4. To review this flow-through to K-1s, look for Statement A under Schedule K-1 (Partner Name). You should see a column on this form for the flow-through LLC's K-1 with the allocation for this partner.

If you are still unable to fix the filing error, delete the K-1 and reenter it again.

If you delete just Schedule K-1, it will regenerate if the associated worksheets are still in the return.

The proper way to delete an unwanted K-1 is from the K-1 Summary screen, which also removes the associated worksheets.

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax, if you haven't already.
  2. Using the search feature in the upper right, search for K-1 and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you receive any Schedules K-1 or Q? Select this even if the correct answer is no.
  4. Select Update next to the type of K-1 you initially entered (partnership/LLC, S corp, or estate/trust).
  5. On the K-1 Summary screen, select Delete next to the K-1 you want to remove. Answer Yes on the following screen.
  6. Select Done.

See the links below:

K-1 Box 

How to Delete K-1

My K-1 (1065) has a page titled "SECTION 199A INFORMATION, BOX 20, CODE Z". Under DESCRIPTION it has six PASSTRHROUGH's each with amounts such as rental income, other deductions, W-2 wages, and unadjusted basis of assets. After I get to the TT screen "We see you have Section 199A income" how do I enter the information for all six PASSTHROUGH's?

EmilyYo

This is my same question. Thank you.

LanaDog

I have this same problem, did you figure it out?  Do you just add them all up?

dfarries

I cannot locate the screen stating " we need some information about your 199A income".  I also do not find a Box to check to the left of " Partnership has business income (loss)"

Using the quick zoom takes me back to the partnership K-1s box without further information. I am at an impasse.

dfarries

This may help some of you!!!  I tried to follow the recommendations contained herein without success. 

Finally I took another direction and went back to TurboTax's Step by Step guidance for my K-1's.   That proved to work like a charm with easy guidance to enter information.  Instead of opening the K-1 form and copy the data onto the form,  use the step by step.  You get the same results as copying the information on to the form without the complications of trying to find Statement A.  Doing it this way resolved all my K-1 errors and allowed me to file my return. 

dfarries

This may help some of you!!!  I tried to follow the recommendations contained herein without success. 

Finally I took another direction and went back to TurboTax's Step by Step guidance for my K-1's.   That proved to work like a charm with easy guidance to enter information.  Instead of opening the K-1 form and copy the data onto the form,  use the step by step.  You get the same results as copying the information on to the form without the complications of trying to find Statement A.  Doing it this way resolved all my K-1 errors and allowed me to file my return. 

3 seconds ago
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies