stevebrite2

How do I calculate the depletion allowance on Oil royalties earned in 2018 as a result of mineral rights that I own?

KittyM

The depletion allowance is 15% and is calculated on the followup page Enter Your Depletion Information in TurboTax when you enter the oil royalty information.

For example, if you have $1,000 in oil royalties, the depletion allowance is 1,000 x .15 (15%) or $150.  You would enter that amount in the box if TurboTax does not calculate it for you.

KittyM

aajaxcomm

TT does not even ask me for depletion info after entering royalties.

KrisD15

Enter the information under

Federal

Deductions & Credits

Rentals, Royalties, and farms

Rental Properties and Royalties 

Yes

Type of property - Royalty

Continue through the  interview to the Depletion Screen.

JDL1

There is no Rental, Royalties, and farms section under Federal Deductions & Credits.  Why wouldn't it ask for this information when you enter the royalties under the Wages & Income section.  I'm just sick, apparently I have missed this deduction since 2014 costing me hundreds of dollars!  What good is TurboTax when it misses a major deduction like this?

ToddL99

Depletion allowances (and calculations) are addressed in the Rental Properties and Royalties interview of TurboTax Self-employed (and Home & Business), under the Business  >  Business Income and Expense section.

JDL1

I use the Deluxe version which doesn't have that section.  When the Deluxe version specifically accepts the 1099 entry for oil royalties it should automatically enter the 15% deduction in the schedule E which is included in the Deluxe version.  At the very least, it should advise you that the deduction exist and tell you it is in the Home and Business version.  I have lost all confidence in TurboTax at this point and will not be using it again.

brkirchh1

I have also missed out because of lack of this information until now!  I even purchase the on up from deluxe just to help and it still did not cover this.   Shame on you Turbo Tax.