turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I calculate cost basis for non covered shares?

I received a 1099B which shows covered shares (both short and long term) with the cost basis.  However, I have some non covered shares with no cost basis.  Can you tell me how to figure out the cost basis for these non covered shares?  Or where to find the information on how to calculate cost basis for non covered shares?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

The following link will provide you with information on how to determine the cost basis for non covered shares

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300454

What is the actual formula to calculate it from the historical statements? accounting for capital gain and dividend reinvestments?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

There isn't a "formula" per se.  You will have to treat each reinvestment of dividends and capital gains as a separate purchase for the purpose of cost basis determination. 

Often, it can be helpful to gather all of the transaction confirmations of the transactions and build a spreadsheet to help you and then program the spreadsheet to calculate the average cost. 

If you use a full-service broker the broker will often do this for you as they have the information most of the time, they just don't print it on the 1099-B.  

Your broker should be able to provide you with the confirmations or historical statements that will have this information or, if you have online account access the statements/confirmations should be there.

@carolinejq2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies