turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dkallen47

How can I add the expenses for a book I wrote? Expenses <$600. Royalties < $100. I do not need TurboTax Self-employed bec no need for Schedule C if exp<$1000.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

How can I add the expenses for a book I wrote? Expenses <$600. Royalties < $100. I do not need TurboTax Self-employed bec no need for Schedule C if exp<$1000.

If you are currently in the business of being a writer, then your income and expenses would be reported on Schedule C and subject to self-employment tax.  The income would include any royalties you received for past published works. 

Only if you are not in the business of being a writer and are simply receiving royalty income for past published works, then your royalty income is reported on Schedule E and is not subject to self-employment tax. 

Based on your need to include expenses for your book, you will need to use Schedule C (or Schedule C-EZ) to report the income and expenses. 

In order to complete either type of Schedule C, you will need TurboTax self-employed online or the CD/downloaded version of TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies