turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi, is it possible to file my tax return before receiving my 1099b from my broker? I'm scheduled to receive my 1099-b by Feb 15th but want to file my return earlier.

I can obtain the necessary information (short term gain/losses, long term, etc) from my brokerage statements for 2016

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Hi, is it possible to file my tax return before receiving my 1099b from my broker? I'm scheduled to receive my 1099-b by Feb 15th but want to file my return earlier.

While it is possible to file your return before you receive your 1099-B, you should NOT file your tax return prior to receiving your 1099-B.  Without knowing the complexity of your investment transactions it's hard guess what sort of potential problems could occur as a result of doing so.  You could have disallowed losses due to wash sales, if you have dividends you won't know the amount that are qualified dividends, etc.  If your transactions are few and simple, you may be able to do so without any problems, but I don't recommend doing so.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

While it is possible to file your return before you receive your 1099-B, you should NOT file your tax return prior to receiving your 1099-B.  Without knowing the complexity of your investment transactions it's hard guess what sort of potential problems could occur as a result of doing so.  You could have disallowed losses due to wash sales, if you have dividends you won't know the amount that are qualified dividends, etc.  If your transactions are few and simple, you may be able to do so without any problems, but I don't recommend doing so.

You are required to file a complete and accurate tax return.
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Well Said!

understood. thanks everyone!
Manage cookies