turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi i need help, on my sons return they went till the end and were talking about a 8960. what is that? I have health ins from my employer would that make him owe?

I only have a pension and an annuity. he has one from my mother but took nothing out this year its now saying he owes why? what am I doing wrong
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Hi i need help, on my sons return they went till the end and were talking about a 8960. what is that? I have health ins from my employer would that make him owe?

Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax, is required when your Modified Gross Income (MAGI) is over a certain threshold, depending on your filing Status:

• Married Filing Joint or Qualifying Widow(er) Status: MAGI over $250,000
  • Married file Separately: MAGI over $125,000
  • Single and Head-of-Household: MAGI over $200,000

If your MAGI exceeds the threshold, you must file Form 8960 to pay a 3.8% Net Investment Tax on your Investment Income.

Check out this TurboTax FAQ for more information: What is Form 8960?

If this has not answered your question please comment below so I can assist you further.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax, is required when your Modified Gross Income (MAGI) is over a certain threshold, depending on your filing Status:

• Married Filing Joint or Qualifying Widow(er) Status: MAGI over $250,000
  • Married file Separately: MAGI over $125,000
  • Single and Head-of-Household: MAGI over $200,000

If your MAGI exceeds the threshold, you must file Form 8960 to pay a 3.8% Net Investment Tax on your Investment Income.

Check out this TurboTax FAQ for more information: What is Form 8960?

If this has not answered your question please comment below so I can assist you further.

Yea.... i certainly didn't have ANYthing like that so why would it pop up on my sons return when we're are verifying at then end of his info? That is so weird. I've tried to go back through and can't find anything like that on my printout.

But thanks everyone!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies