turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dianehobo

Help with Source of 1099-MISC box 1 selection? 3rd party asked to rent to see if gas or oil is on this empty land. It is not farm land. No one has been there in decades.

The 4 choices in the TurboTax questionnaire and Learn More does not fit the situation. It is not rental land, or a business venture. It  just empty land my mother inherited 43 years ago and it just sits growing weeds as far as we know. The company contacted the family.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Help with Source of 1099-MISC box 1 selection? 3rd party asked to rent to see if gas or oil is on this empty land. It is not farm land. No one has been there in decades.

It sounds like you've signed a lease with an oil/gas company to drill for (hopefully) oil.

If that's the case, you'll enter this as a rental.  See the TurboTax FAQ below for specific instructions.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4770594

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

How did you do this as I am having the same issue this year?  The four options are not what my situation is either.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies