turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Have Condo purchased in 1999 and remodeled in 2017. Converted to rental 4/1/18. I am confused as to where to record the remodel costs.

Following the interview process for rental property.  Under property profile, it asks for purchase price, then improvements made [remodeling].  Then later asks to enter property tax values, splitting out land vs [improvements + remodel costs].  Am I double entering the remodel costs by entering them in both places? 

(Side question: Do I use assessed value [land+improvements] at time of purchase, or current assessed value?)

Then under rental property assets/depreciation, do I enter the remodel costs here too?  All remodel costs were prior to rental conversion date.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Have Condo purchased in 1999 and remodeled in 2017. Converted to rental 4/1/18. I am confused as to where to record the remodel costs.

Because the improvements were personal (made during your period of personal use, and before you held the property out for rental) you don't include them as rental expenses.

Instead, they are part of the adjusted cost basis of your home.  When you place the property in service as a rental, your base for depreciation is the adjusted cost basis of the property, or the current fair market value, whichever is lower at the time.  The adjusted cost basis is the price you paid plus the cost of improvements.

So, let's assume you purchased in 1999 for $100,000 and paid $30,000 for improvements in 2017.  The fair market value in 2018 was $195,000, including $25,000 for land.  Your basis for depreciation is $105,000 ($130,000 adjusted cost basis minus the value of the land).

By the way, you use fair market value, which is not always the assessed value.  FMV is what it would be worth to an unrelated buyer if you listed it for sale.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies