turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Gifted Rental Property

I gifted my 1./2 share of rental property to family. I picked Sold or disposed of on schedule E, adjusted the assets so they are not used, special handeling ect. I just can't find anywhere where I show I gifted it do I put in value anywhere or just stop showing it in 2021?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Gifted Rental Property

Basicallyf you selected the option for "I sold or otherwise disposed of this property in 2020" and then for each and every asset you selected YES for the "Special Handling Required?" screen, then you're done. The 2020 tax return will be the last year you report this property on SCH E. If it gets imported next year, then you can just delete it.

Take note that if the value of the gift given was more than $15,000, then you will need to file IRS Form 709-Gift Tax Return with the IRS. Don't let the name of that form mislead you. You will "NOT" pay any taxes on your gift. All you are doing is satisfying a legal reporting requirement, and that's pretty much it.

TurboTax does not include the form 709, since it really has nothing to do with your federal income taxes. You can get a blank form at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-access/f709_accessible.pdf print it, fill it out and mail it to the IRS at the address in the instructions. The address you mail the 709 to may not be the same address you mail a tax return to. So make sure to read the instructions which are referenced at the top of the form.

Gifted Rental Property

I gifted (quitclaim for $10) unimproved land to my niece.  The part that asks if I disposed of property indicates NOT to check box if disposition was to family.  A couple screens later is screen for non depreciable property (unimproved land).  The assets page for that only shows blanks for sale of asset.   I have read not to put '0' in the sale box.  Do I ignore the assset section?   How do I show I no longer have the property?  I will file form 709, but that appears to be a totally separate issue.  Do I just ignore/delete the information that will be carried over to 2023 turbo tax?  I inherited the land from my parents and am passing it on to their granddaughter, no money involved.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Gifted Rental Property

If you are filing form 709 for this property then that is all that you need to do.  Leave it off of your tax return.  

@flynduck 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Gifted Rental Property

Thanks Robert.  I see I didn't indicate this was rental property (grazing land), non-depreciable, in my question.  Does that make a difference to your answer?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Gifted Rental Property

No. You do not need to report a gift of rental land on your income tax return since gifting does not create a taxable income tax gain or loss.

As Tax Expert @RobertB4444 said, you may need to file a gift tax return to reduce your lifetime exclusion.

See Frequently Asked Questions on Gift Taxes.

@flynduck

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies