herowins

Form W-7 was rejected because I sent a notarized copy of my passport

I am a non-resident alien and I own an LLC.  I'm trying to get my ITIN to complete my tax returns because I need to file for taxes on my US-sourced income.

I emailed all the documents along with a notarized copy of my passport and the IRS rejected it. They say that I either send my actual passport or send a copy of my passport that has been certified by the issuing body of the passport. I've been to the passport office in my country several times and they say that they do not give any document like that, and I should get a copy that has been notarized by the court which is what I did the first time. 

I've been unable to reach the IRS by phone because the lines are always busy and I am out of ideas on how I can actually get my ITIN. I travel frequently so I cannot send my physical passport to the IRS. 

Has anyone run into this problem before or any ideas on what I can do?

AmeliesUncle

As you found out, a notarized document does not qualify.  I think your best option is to go to a Certifying Acceptance Agent to get your ITIN (make sure they are a "certifying" agent).

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agent-program

herowins

I tried doing that, but they do not have any certifying agent in my country. 

Any other ideas on what I can try?

AmeliesUncle

You said you travel frequently, so my next suggestion is to find a Certifying Acceptance Agent in one of the countries that you travel to.