Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jambazi1

For purposes of depreciating/amortizing as capital expenses, where in TurboTax do I record start-up costs incurred in 2021 prior to starting the business in 2022?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

For purposes of depreciating/amortizing as capital expenses, where in TurboTax do I record start-up costs incurred in 2021 prior to starting the business in 2022?

Start-up costs incurred in 2021 are entered on your 2021 tax return. How you would enter them depends on the type of entity.

Schedule C : https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/business-taxes/discussion/where-do-i-enter-my-schedule-c-start-up-...

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

You can elect to deduct up to $5,000 of start-up costs in the year in which the active trade or business begins. Any remaining costs must be amortized.

If you started your business in 2021 but it begins to become active only in 2022, you can deduct up to $5,000 of start-up costs in 2022 and you enter these costs on your 2022 tax return.. You do not enter start-up costs in the year(s) prior to the business becoming active.

You can also elect not to deduct those start-costs and amortize them.  Start-up costs are amortized over a period of 180 months (15 years).

Please read this IRS document for more information, under the heading Business Start-up and Organizational Cots.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies