dlnblue

For form 8911 EVSE credit, are you required to be the (mortgage, deeded) homeowner? If I rent and have landlord permission, can I pay for installation and credit?

My landlord is not willing to pay for an EV charger, however I’m willing to pay for the convenience myself. The language in the form instructions isn’t clear if you must be a home owner or just install at “your home” (where you live).

DaveF1006

Yes, you may claim a credit for the EV charger. I researched the form instructions myself and there is no requirement that you must own the home. It just must be your main home. I also ran a test scenario in my return and selected the link that said "Read these important Credit Qualifications" and there was no requirement there that states you must be the homeowner.

DaveF1006