Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For a 1099-B, how do I know what "type" of investment was sold if my account held multiple types?

TurboTax asks "what type of investment did you sell?" My 1099-B does not indicate what types of investments were sold. I sold from a single ETrade account which contains both ESPP and RSU stocks. How can I answer the question if my 1099-B doesn't categorize the funds in this way?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For a 1099-B, how do I know what "type" of investment was sold if my account held multiple types?

Thanks. I figured it out. My financial institution (ETrade) had a "Stock Plan Transactions Supplement" document available that provided this information. It also provided the Adjusted Cost Basis, which became evidently important for entering for each sale transactions.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Since this information isn't reflected on your Form(s) 1099-B and the information is necessary to compute your tax, you should contact the customer service department of your electronic trading platform.

They should be able to provide you with documentation, since it's necessary to prepare your return.

Thanks. I figured it out. My financial institution (ETrade) had a "Stock Plan Transactions Supplement" document available that provided this information. It also provided the Adjusted Cost Basis, which became evidently important for entering for each sale transactions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies