`

Final Form 1065 K-1 and 1099-B Cost Basis adjustment

I received a Final Form 1065 K-1 and a 1099-B. I have entered them both with entering the sales price as 0 and the gain as 0 in the walkthrough on the k-1. Have I done this correct? I entered the information that my broker gave me on the 1099-B...do I need to do change the cost to an adjusted cost basis on the 1099-B due to the schedule on the K-1? I am not sure where they have gotten their purchase price/Initial Basis amount from on my ownership schedules...the numbers are slightly different than mine. Or do I leave the numbers on the 1099-B as I received them.

The important thing is to report the sale at least once, but only once.  Because you need to enter the K-1 anyway, you can report the disposition via the K-1 (as you apparently have done, by selecting the "I disposed of my interest...." during K-1 entry) instead via the 1099 you received.

Whichever way you go, be sure that you report the sales proceeds (i.e., from the 1099-B) and cost basis correctly.  Note that your cost basis is likely not your original investment, but your basis in the partnership after all the transactions; i.e., at the time the partnership was sold or closed.

I did mark the K-1 as final and then put the sale price and the partnership basis as 0. So would I then change the 1099-b (as there is several investments on it not just this one PTP)  and put the amount figured on my sales schedule to the corrected cost basis? Doing this has increased the amount that I owe and I want to make sure I am not doing it wrong

Yes, if you are reporting the sale via the "Final K-1 disposition entries" you would just delete just the 1099-B transaction for the PTP sale.

Does the 1099-B report sales proceeds other than zero?  And do you know your final adjusted cost basis for the partnership interest?

Yes my 1099-B reports sales proceeds as other than zero, and for multiple investments, not just for the two PTP's that are final.  That is why I was thinking that I needed to adjust the basis and report the sale information as I mentioned before as 0.

I believe that I have figured the adjusted cost basis correctly? I put the sales proceeds and the original purchase amounts from my 1099-B into the sales schedule. Since the cumulative adjustment is a negative, I deducted that from the original purchase price to get the adjusted cost basis. Is that correct?

Your adjusted basis is generally the original investment, plus/minus your share of gains/losses while you were a partner, less any distributions to you while a partner.