Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Fair Rental days for cleaning(preparing property) days

We lived in our property from 1st Jan 2021 to 15th Sep 2021 (258 days). We moved out of the property on 15th Sep 2021.

We put the rental advertisement on 1st Sep 2021 that the property is available for rent from 1st Oct 2021.  We got some repairs, cleaning etc done from 16th Sep 2021 to 30th Sep 2021 (15 days). 

The tenants moved in to the property on 1st Oct 2021 and rented it till 31st Dec 2021 (92 days).

What should be counted as Personal Use Vs Fair rented days?

Option1

Personal use days. (258 + 15 = 273 days) And Fair rented days (92 days)

OR

Option2

Personal use days. (258 days) And Fair rented days (92 + 15 = 107 days)

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You only use personal vs rental when dealing with a vacation home. This would be when the personal and rental days changed back and forth.

You converted your property to rental. From the moment you placed it in service, ( October 1) it was 100% rental use.

View solution in original post

Thanks for the answer. I Understood that part. 

Another question on "In Service"

This property is in California. 

For 16th Sep 2021 to 30th Sep 2021 (15 days), the property was habitable.  Should "In Service" be counted from 16th Sep when it was empty and habitable or 1st Oct when property is actually "rented by tenant"?

My Question/confusion is coming from that "what if I finding renter would have taken longer and tenant moved to property sayon 1st Nov, then the "In Service" date would be 1st Nov?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

From your post, the property was not available for rent until October 1, 2021, that is the in-service date,  It is the date the property is available not necessarily the start of the rental period.  If your rental was available on 1 October but you did not rent it until 1 November your start date is still 1 October.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You only use personal vs rental when dealing with a vacation home. This would be when the personal and rental days changed back and forth.

You converted your property to rental. From the moment you placed it in service, ( October 1) it was 100% rental use.

Thanks for the answer. I Understood that part. 

Another question on "In Service"

This property is in California. 

For 16th Sep 2021 to 30th Sep 2021 (15 days), the property was habitable.  Should "In Service" be counted from 16th Sep when it was empty and habitable or 1st Oct when property is actually "rented by tenant"?

My Question/confusion is coming from that "what if I finding renter would have taken longer and tenant moved to property sayon 1st Nov, then the "In Service" date would be 1st Nov?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

From your post, the property was not available for rent until October 1, 2021, that is the in-service date,  It is the date the property is available not necessarily the start of the rental period.  If your rental was available on 1 October but you did not rent it until 1 November your start date is still 1 October.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies