turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ESPP sell vs. exercise

I'm trying to understand numbers on my 1099-B and to correlate them with my 3922.

1099-B shows my ESPP stocks as "Sale" even though I never sold them; they have been transferred to my personal Fidelity account and I still can see them. Form 3922 shows "Date option exercised" and "Date legal title transferred" for them. After I entered all that info into TurboTax, it looks like it is considering the transaction as Short-term capital gain; however my Fidelity account shows they are Long-term gain.

Could somebody clarify this for me? Should I trust TurboTax calculations or should I be looking for some advice? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

ESPP sell vs. exercise

There is not enough information here to determine whether or not your Fidelity account is correct as well as whether or not TurboTax accurately reflects the underlying transaction.  First of all, if this was an ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan) and you still have the stock, then there has not been a taxable transaction.  Could this have been a Non-Qualified Stock Option (NQSO) transaction, or perhaps Restricted Stock. 

For more information, see the following TurboTax articles:

Employee Stock Purchase Plans

Non-Qualified Stock Options

Incentive Stock Options

Do I need to enter ESPP transactions in TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

ESPP sell vs. exercise

Thank you for your answer!

I was wrong; I did sell the stocks. However, I still don't get it - why TurboTax considering the sale Short Term - there is more than 1 year between "Date Acquired" (03/31/19) and "Date Sold" (06/02/20) on my form 1099-B. 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

ESPP sell vs. exercise

It's very difficult to troubleshoot an issue like this in a public forum like this Community.  I recommend you contact customer support so someone can troubleshoot with you real time and do a screen share if necessary.  To speak with someone, start with:  Contact Us

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies