turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SSO1
Returning Member

Energy Transfer LP unit Long-term sale

I sold all of my units in Energy Transfer in 2020 in one sale.  I bought the units in 2010 and over the years have accumulated an adjusted cost basis that is considerably negative.  The broker's Form 1099B shows the original unadjusted basis.  The 2020 Sales Worksheet from Energy Transfer says to include their negative average cost basis on Form 8949 Column E but Turbo Tax will only allow  me to plug in a number of $0 or greater for the adjusted basis on the worksheet.  Is there a workaround here that would allow me to plug in the correct negative number?  I'm also plugging in the gain subject to recapture on Form 4797 Part II line 10 and a loss adjustment on Form 6251 line 2K for AMT.  The instructions say to also include the gain subject to recapture as a negative number on column G of Form 8949 to get to the correct basis.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

In most cases, these 1099B transactions related to LP units are incorrect.

Have you maintained your tax basis in this LP since inception?

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
SSO1
Returning Member

Thank you for responding. I believe to correctly post the correct gain I will include the sale as reported on the 1099B which shows an incorrect loss.  This way I hopefully don't flag an audit. But then I will show a phantom sale of the same units with a zero basis and the correct gain adjusted up for the incorrect loss and  adjusted  down for the gain subject to recapture as ordinary income.  Does that sound like a valid workaround of the TT software's limitations?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies