Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does Turbotax Business for a Trust 1041 return have a way to include Form 4835 Farm Rental Income and Expense?

I need to file a 1041 for my deceased father's Trust.   So I am using Turbotax Business.   The trust has farm rental income.  I don't see how to get to Form 4835 in this version.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does Turbotax Business for a Trust 1041 return have a way to include Form 4835 Farm Rental Income and Expense?

"Does Turbotax Business for a Trust 1041 return have a way to include Form 4835....?"

Estates and trusts do not use Form 4835. Rather, they report on Schedule E for rental income and expenses (whether based on a flat charge or crop/livestock shares) or Schedule F in the case of material participation.

See https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4835.pdf

Do not use Form 4835 if you were a/an:
• Landowner (or sub-lessor) and materially participated in the operation or management of the farm—instead use
Schedule F (Form 1040) to report farm income and expenses;
• Landowner (or sub-lessor) and received cash rent for pasture or farmland based on a flat charge—instead report as income on Schedule E (Form 1040), Part I;
• Estate or trust with rental income and expenses from crop and livestock shares—instead report on Schedule E (Form 1040), Part I;

View solution in original post

1 Reply

"Does Turbotax Business for a Trust 1041 return have a way to include Form 4835....?"

Estates and trusts do not use Form 4835. Rather, they report on Schedule E for rental income and expenses (whether based on a flat charge or crop/livestock shares) or Schedule F in the case of material participation.

See https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4835.pdf

Do not use Form 4835 if you were a/an:
• Landowner (or sub-lessor) and materially participated in the operation or management of the farm—instead use
Schedule F (Form 1040) to report farm income and expenses;
• Landowner (or sub-lessor) and received cash rent for pasture or farmland based on a flat charge—instead report as income on Schedule E (Form 1040), Part I;
• Estate or trust with rental income and expenses from crop and livestock shares—instead report on Schedule E (Form 1040), Part I;
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies