Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DO I NEED TO FILE A 1099-B FOR MY RSU'S?

This year, 4 of the Restricted Stock Units (RSU's) I was awarded by my company vested. I had the the shares set to "Sell to cover" in order to cover the taxes immediately. To cover the taxes, 2 of the 4 shares were sold, and I was paid out the remaining balance on the second share as it did not take the entire value of both shares to cover the taxes. Do I need to file a 1099-b on this transaction?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes you do, if you actually receive a 1099-B.

With a "same day" sale - vesting and sale occurring simultaneously - brokers are not required to issue a 1099-B, though they are required to provide a "statement" with the same information on it.  If you don't get a 1099-B then you don't need to report the sale although you can if you wish since "same day" sales typically result in a small loss due to selling commissions and fees.

If you do get a 1099-B or decide that you want to report the sale even though a 1099-B wasn't issued, then you need to upgrade to the online "Premier" version.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes you do, if you actually receive a 1099-B.

With a "same day" sale - vesting and sale occurring simultaneously - brokers are not required to issue a 1099-B, though they are required to provide a "statement" with the same information on it.  If you don't get a 1099-B then you don't need to report the sale although you can if you wish since "same day" sales typically result in a small loss due to selling commissions and fees.

If you do get a 1099-B or decide that you want to report the sale even though a 1099-B wasn't issued, then you need to upgrade to the online "Premier" version.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies