Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to report nonCovered security stock sale? The box that says "check if Basis reported to IRS" in not checked. And, the "type of gain or loss is blank.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Do I have to report nonCovered security stock sale? The box that says "check if Basis reported to IRS" in not checked. And, the "type of gain or loss is blank.

Yes, all sales of stock, gain or loss, covered or not covered need to be reported. If they are non-covered then they were purchased before 2012 and are long-term.

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Yes, you have to report noncovered securities. 

• The noncovered simply means that your financial institution did not have the date you purchased the stock and they did not have the amount that you paid for the stock so they weren't able to calculate a gain or a loss or whether the stock is short-term or long-term.
  • The IRS has received the 1099-B and will match it to your tax return. If you don't report the 1099-B, the IRS will assume that the stock is short-term with a basis of $0.00 so that your gain will be calculated on the amount of the gross proceeds. 
  • You have to enter the date purchased and stock basis manually in TurboTax. 

If you don't have the date purchased or the cost basis of your stock, please see 

How do I find a stock's cost basis?

[Edited 04-13-2023|9:59 AM PST]

@jljlsecret23 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies