halfanhalf

Do days spent preparing soon-to-be rental property for rent count as personal use?

I purchased a new home for use as a new primary residence in January 2016. I moved out of the old primary residence on the 13th and converted it to a rental property by signing tenants 8 days later. I spent these 8 days preparing the house for rent (e.g. installing new carpet, cleaning) and finding the tenants. From what I understand, I cannot deduct expenses for the property incurred during personal use. Would anyone happen to know if these 8 days count as personal use?
view2

Property is not placed into service as a rental until it is ready to rent.[the tenant can walk in and occupy.]

Generally work days for maintenance and upkeep are not personal use days.