Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Did reporting of RSU change for 2023 TY?

I've seen past posts of reporting RSU's and have no issues in the past.  For the 2023 tax year, I don't see the easy step displays of reporting RSU grant details which allows for the reporting of shares withheld for taxes.  I also had to go into the form itself to correct for the adjusted basis.  Did something change in the program?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

When you enter your investment sales in TurboTax you will see an option to indicate that you sold employee stock:

Later in that section you will see an option to calculate your basis for shares sold:

Maybe you answered one of the questions wrong so you didn't see that screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

When you enter your investment sales in TurboTax you will see an option to indicate that you sold employee stock:

Later in that section you will see an option to calculate your basis for shares sold:

Maybe you answered one of the questions wrong so you didn't see that screen.

Thanks for the information.  I had actually answered yes to the employer stock question and got the message about calculating basis in a later screen which would appear when you click on a new “ needs review” message in the income list. That message didn’t appear.  So I clicked on “update” anyway but never got the last screen of your message.  Because I used the form at that point to insert the correct basis and my return passes the error test, I think I’m ok.  But I’ll play around with it some more to see if I can get that screen to come up

Just to be clear.  The employer stock question shows up when you click done after importing the 1099b.  But the promised RSU detail screen does not show up in investment income

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I am working in the desktop version of TurboTax, your version may be different. When I check on the "The cost basis is incorrect or missing on my 1099'B" option, I get another screen that says "Adjust your cost basis to assure your best outcome" and I can indicate that I need help doing that. It's after that when I see the RSU purchase info screens: 

thanks for following up.  I am using the online version on my Mac.  I have tried checking the employer stock box and the statement about adjusting the cost basis that you just described.   Those options come up when you hit continue after importing the 1099.  After checking those boxes in neither case does the Easy Step take me to a screen to adjust the basis. I have given up on that now and filed my taxes after filling in the the information in the Forms portion of the program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies