Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Commercial rental, landlord files individually, does tenant need do Backup Withholding?

My wife and I have a small building in TN which we rent to a dental practice.  We file a joint tax return and do not have a corporation or LLC for the property, it is simply in our name.  The renter's accountant has asked us to send them a W-9 which is easy to do.  However, the W-9 instructions seem to indicate that we do not have an exclusion and therefor the renter should be withholding 24% for "Backup Withholding" as part of their rent payments. Our renters haven't asked for a W-9 before and we've simply charged the full rent which they've paid.  For tax purposes we've shown their rent as income and calculated the federal taxes due at tax time.   

Are doing this wrong?  Should the tenant be withholding taxes?  1) That is counter to what we've done previously; 2) That seems like a high administrative burden to put on renters; and 3) Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I'd much rather make estimated quarterly tax payments than have to put that on tenants.

OR ... can I just indicate on the W-9 I'm excluded from Backup Withholding and do things as I have been.

Any guidance appreciated.

Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Commercial rental, landlord files individually, does tenant need do Backup Withholding?

Withholding is not done on rents paid.  By filling in the W-9 you are automatically exempt from withholding ... read the instructions:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

The instructions under Backup Withholding say.......

You will not be subject to backup withholding on payments you
receive if you give the requester your correct TIN, make the proper
certifications, and report all your taxable interest and dividends on your
tax return.

The TIN is your SSN or EIN if you have one.  

Thank you.  Yes, looks like I confused the foreign account focus in the line 4 section.  Much appreciated!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies