turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital Gain tax calculation appears to be too high

Married couple filing jointly had AGI of less than  496600.   23.8% (20+3.8) long term capital gain tax was calculated, but I think it should be only 18.8%  (15+3.8) because AGI is under $469600.

Is there something wrong with the way TT calculates?

How can I correct it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Because  you say "appears" too high, I suspect you're just misinterpreting the bottom line. The capital gains tax is calculated on  The Qualified Dividends and Capital gains worksheet  (for some people it will be the Schedule D worksheet).  Review the worksheet for the calcs to see if you are really being taxed at 20% instead of 15%.

The net investment income tax (the 3.8%) is calculated separately on form 8960. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

did you have any ordinary income because that would get taxed at higher than 15%? check the capital gain calculation worksheet

My understanding was that as long as the  AGI is less than $496600, the capital gain is taxed at 15%. if above,  20%.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Because  you say "appears" too high, I suspect you're just misinterpreting the bottom line. The capital gains tax is calculated on  The Qualified Dividends and Capital gains worksheet  (for some people it will be the Schedule D worksheet).  Review the worksheet for the calcs to see if you are really being taxed at 20% instead of 15%.

The net investment income tax (the 3.8%) is calculated separately on form 8960. 

Thank you for your answer. 

Let's just add some hypothetical numbers:

Taxable ordinary income $425K, capital gain $25K. On the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet the capital gain is calculated correctly  with 15%. But if I add this $25K capital gain income in TT, the owed tax amount increased by 23.8%. What am I missing?

You may be losing some credits (such as the Child Tax Credit) due to the increase in income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies