Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can TurboTax deluxe do depletion on gas royalties? How do I do it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, TurboTax calculates percentage depletion on gas royalties for you, based on your income for the Royalty Property. The depletion rate for gas properties is 15% of gross income.

Royalty Income and Deductions are reported on Schedule E (Rental Properties & Royalties), even if you do not own the property.

To easily find this area of TurboTax, use the Search box at the top right corner of the TurboTax header and enter "royalties". Click on the "jump to royalties" link to be taken directly to this area of the program. 

Follow the interview process to enter your Royalty Property, along with income reported on Form 1099-MISC and any property taxes you paid. "Other deductions" reported on Form 1099-MISC (example: production taxes), are entered under "More Expenses" in the extended interview. See the screenshot below for an example of a 1099-MISC entry for gas royalties.

If TurboTax prompts you to enter an address for the property, use the actual address if you know it (look on the property tax bill if you have one). Or use your own address. The IRS instructions say address lines 1 and 2 should be left blank, but sometimes the program won't let you continue without an address.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kput123

Where does the depletion show up, on schedule E?

Line 18 ... where is says depreciation or depletion ...  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040se.pdf

kput123

Got it.....thanks

mine was blank so I'll have to figure out what I did wrong

gmalin82

After filling in all the information for my gas royalties my depletion does not show up on line 18. What am I doing wrong?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Make sure you enter this as a royalty. if you are using Turbo Tax Software, you can make that entry manually on line 18 of the Schedule E Worksheet without repercussions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies