Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't Import 1099 - no Tab opens in Browser

Trying to import from Schwab and Fidelity.  Import tells me to find the institution, continue, then a page that has me click "Continue" to open a tab in my default browser.  No tab ever opens up. I started with Firefox, changed to Chrome and Edge, turned off security and allowed popups/redirects.  Nothing, just ignores me.  Last night I had tried to import Fidelity and got a response it was doing maintenance so I thought there was some connection, but today there is just ... nothing.  I really don't want to do manual entry as some of the brokerage info is quite lengthy.  That is the whole point of import.  In the past I found that the turbotax needed internet explorer to open within the program, I have no idea what is happening here.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I ended up using this method of starting an online TT return, importing there and then saving the tax file and continuing in the desktop version.  Still had to review hundreds of entries since many were miscategorized, but got it to match my 1099-B summaries from the financial institutions.

Haven't completed the taxes yet, but I hope this works out and I don't have a separate issue with the online stuff since I already purchased the desktop version

View solution in original post

5 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you are using TurboTax Online, try importing using a different browser.

If you use the Brave browser, you have to turn off the Brave Shields.

See the following TurboTax Help articles for potential fixes:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Using desktop premier, I was very specific about the browsers I used.  I've seen this answer several times which makes it look like a cut and paste rather than reading the actual issue.  Is Brave recommended?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Brave is not necessarily recommended, I have just seen that be an issue for several people. People seem to be having different issues and there is no one thing to do. Some people are successful in one browser and another is not. Sometimes it's a firewall or a pop-up blocker, but not always. These seems to be no rhyme or reason to what works for some and not for others.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That's sad.  Retired in 2022 so we made a lot of account changes through our financial planner and of all the years to need import working, this was the one.  Have not had a problem with this for many years.

This is frustrating since there is no error, nothing to indicate what is going wrong. I even uninstalled, rebooted and re-installed TurboTax just in case, as well as turning off all firewalls, etc.  It ignores the button to open a tab so the browser is not even accessed.

I can't give any thanks or mark anything as answered, as downloads are a huge part of why I use turbotax.

I ended up using this method of starting an online TT return, importing there and then saving the tax file and continuing in the desktop version.  Still had to review hundreds of entries since many were miscategorized, but got it to match my 1099-B summaries from the financial institutions.

Haven't completed the taxes yet, but I hope this works out and I don't have a separate issue with the online stuff since I already purchased the desktop version

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies