Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't E-file

I started my taxes with Turbotax online and transferred it over to the desktop Home and Business version. I'm trying to file but it says "We can't e-file your return because we are unable to locate the attachment at /attachment/Form8949ExceptionReportingStatement-1.pdf. Please go back and re-attach it. Then try e-filing again." Anyone have any idea what this means and where I find the attachment?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can't E-file

I can confirm that the crypto transactions that I imported from Coinbase via the online version of Turbotax is the culprit here. As suggested I remove all Coinbase transaction and added them back using .txf file fixed the issue and was able to e-file.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Can't E-file

WhyShapiro,

Oh dear, that is a problem.  I will alert the powers that be to it.  I suggest, though, that you could use the Forms view to delete the existing 8949, if any, and re-import the transactions from your desktop.  The "exception" is either (1) that all your transactions were clean consisting of only cost and sales without any adjustments or (2) a copy of your 1099-B statement or comparable document was created to attach to the return and, as you saw, existed only on TurboTax's computer and was not transferred to the desktop.  (More details are available in Form 8949 Instructions. )

Can't E-file

I have the same exact problem, did you find any solution for it? 

Can't E-file

I just deleted everything Turbotax imported over from my crypto account and entered the info myself from the annual statement. That solved the problem.

Can't E-file

You know what that could be my issue as well, this is the first year I import my crypto transactions from coinbase. I will do that and report back here for others to benefit.

Thank you so much for your quick reply!  

Can't E-file

I can confirm that the crypto transactions that I imported from Coinbase via the online version of Turbotax is the culprit here. As suggested I remove all Coinbase transaction and added them back using .txf file fixed the issue and was able to e-file.

Can't E-file

For anyone who winds up here with the same error message but who, like me, didn't have any crypto transactions, in my case it was due to 1099-B transactions, in the same scenario where I was finishing a return in TurboTax Desktop that I had started in TurboTax Online. The fix was similar: In the Desktop version I deleted all the 1099-B data from EasyStep (I tried deleting just Form 8949 but that didn't work as it's auto-generated and immediately reappeared) and entered it again. The only other hitch is that unlike TurboTax Online, the Mac Desktop version doesn't let you upload PDF's of the 1099-B's; instead it prints out instructions for mailing them in to the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies