Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amanda2

Can some improvements and costs for a renting part of a house be deducted or depreciated 100% while others are by square footage percentage?

I rent out my converted garage.  I understand the concept of deducting an apportioned amount based on square footage (it's about 21% of my total square footage), but I've also read if you make a repair or improvement that is directly related to the rented room/part of the house, you can deduct or depreciate that cost 100%. Is that true? Example 1: I built a porch off the converted garage that is specifically for my renter's use. Example 2: I fixed a leaky toilet in the rental space. 
As a corollary, and depending on the answer to the above, I purchased and installed a new swamp cooler for the house but the vents do not extend to the converted garage. It seems like I shouldn't be able to deduct that since the renter doesn't benefit from it, right?  Or can I deduct or depreciate any repairs or improvements to the house at the 21% rate?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Can some improvements and costs for a renting part of a house be deducted or depreciated 100% while others are by square footage percentage?

Yes, you can deduct 100% of the repairs or improvements that are specifically for rental purposes with no personal use. Improvements such as the porch are subject to depreciation and must be listed as an asset using the same 27.5 year recovery for residential rental.

The swamp cooler that is not used by the tenants at all should not be deducted as part of the rental. Any improvements to the entire garage or to the entire property that does include the rental can be depreciated at the 21% rate.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can deduct 100% of the repairs or improvements that are specifically for rental purposes with no personal use. Improvements such as the porch are subject to depreciation and must be listed as an asset using the same 27.5 year recovery for residential rental.

The swamp cooler that is not used by the tenants at all should not be deducted as part of the rental. Any improvements to the entire garage or to the entire property that does include the rental can be depreciated at the 21% rate.

amanda2

Thank you! Now if I can only figure out how to add those into Turbo Tax correctly...
DianeW
Expert Alumni

@amanda You're welcome.  You an add those by going to the rental activity (search for rentals, the use the "Jump to" link > Edit > Select "Assets/Depreciation".
amanda2

@TurboTaxDianeW - Thanks again. I've added improvements successfully.  If I want to deduct 100% of some repairs, then does that mean I need to select the option to do the calculations myself for the rental percentage? (As opposed to the option where Turbo Tax does it for me....there's no way to choose the automatic option for most things but have a couple that I write in at 100%, right?)
DianeW
Expert Alumni

@amanda I would suggest doing your own calculations because then you can put the actual expenses for each time that if fully rental portion or 100% rental.

What method is 21% rate?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The 21% mentioned references the percentage of business use of the home office. It's usually best to start a new question instead of a possible out dated answer.

@test1account1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies