Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i recognize same interest amounts as expenses from a house i own and rent and a house i own and live in?

Assuming my Interest is 50,000 per year and my Rent income is 70,000. assuming the Int expenses are all due to Mortgage less than 750K USD taken after 2018 (taken 2022) how much Int exp can i recognize? assuming i live in the the property and don't own it - Could i recognize the same amount?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Can i recognize same interest amounts as expenses from a house i own and rent and a house i own and live in?

You can deduct mortgage interest on a second home as an itemized deduction if it meets all the requirements for deducting mortgage interest.

If you rent out your second home, you must also use it as a home during the year. You must use it more than 14 days or more than 10% of the total days it is rented out, whichever is longer. If you don't use the home long enough, it's considered a rental property. You can then deduct the mortgage interest as a rental expense.

Mortgage interest can only be claimed on a maximum of two homes (main home and a second home).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So if i would live in 1 house - how much interest expenses could i have deducted ? assuming 50K int exp for a mortgage less than 750K USD taken after 2018?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If you live in a house you can deduct the interest on the mortgage up to $50,000 since the mortgage is less than $750K.  However, I see in part of your question above, " assuming i live in the the property and don't own it - Could i recognize the same amount?"    If you live in the property and you do not own the property, then you would be renting the property from someone else and not eligible to take a federal deduction as rent is not a deductible expense on your federal return. 

Basically, if you own a property, you can deduct the mortgage interest on mortgage amounts up to $750k if the property is for personal use.

If you are renting out the property, then the mortgage interest may be deductible as a rent expense.

If you do not own the property, you do not get a deduction. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies