turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct the temporary living expenses of rent and utilities for a new job in a new state until I move my permanent residence there from Washington state?

My home and family are in Washington state where my wife works, children attend school, and we pay a mortgage on our personal home. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can I deduct the temporary living expenses of rent and utilities for a new job in a new state until I move my permanent residence there from Washington state?

If this is a new employer, then no, you cannot deduct the temporary living expenses.  Your new work location is considered your tax home.  Generally, you cannot deduct expenses from your tax home.  Your tax home is where you work, not where you live.

When an employer sends an employee on a temporary work assignment, which is outside the commuting distance from their home, then temporary living expenses may be deductible.  The temporary assignment is one year or less.  Any time greater than one year is considered permanent.

If you will be in this new work location permanently, then you can deduct moving expenses that were not reimbursed by your employer.

See this TurboTax article What is a Tax Home? for more information. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies