Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nsnilmani

Can I deduct the amount I had to pay auto rental company for damage to their vehicle by me in an accident?

I was involved in a car accident in Dec 2015 in an rental car. Unfortunately, I did not had an insurance from rental company to be in the state of accident. So, all in all, I had to pay close to $6000 to the rental company in 2016 for vehicle damage. Can I deduct this amount from federal income tax? How do I go about doing that?

Thank You!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I deduct the amount I had to pay auto rental company for damage to their vehicle by me in an accident?

Yes, to deduct a casualty or theft loss, you must itemize your deductions on Schedule A. The amount of your deduction is limited to the amount of the loss that exceeds 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income after a $100 deductible

As an example, if you had a $6,000 casualty loss, and your Adjusted Gross Income is $40,000, you would gain the following deduction:

After deducting $100, you are left with a $5,990 loss. Subtract $4,000 (10% of AGI) and you net a $1,990 deduction.

To report a Casualty or Theft loss -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Other Deductions and Credits
  • On Casualties and Thefts, click on the start or update button

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes, to deduct a casualty or theft loss, you must itemize your deductions on Schedule A. The amount of your deduction is limited to the amount of the loss that exceeds 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income after a $100 deductible

As an example, if you had a $6,000 casualty loss, and your Adjusted Gross Income is $40,000, you would gain the following deduction:

After deducting $100, you are left with a $5,990 loss. Subtract $4,000 (10% of AGI) and you net a $1,990 deduction.

To report a Casualty or Theft loss -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Other Deductions and Credits
  • On Casualties and Thefts, click on the start or update button

woodtrust
Returning Member

This answer was good in 2019 but now it appears the tax law has changed for 2020.  TurboTax has this explanation for 2020 changes under Casualty Losses:

"The casualty losses you can deduct are mainly limited to those caused by federally declared disasters. This includes hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, fires, and mudslides. If you experienced a loss that wasn't disaster-related, such as a theft, you can deduct this loss only to offset a gain from another casualty. This rule is an important change from prior years."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies