Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I correct an incorrect cost basis for a rental property when it is sold? Does IRS allow the change?

@mishelk wrote:

I placed my residence into rental service in 2011, at the time the preparer recorded the value of the structure too low by 80k. 

It may not be the "value" of the structure.  In most cases, it should be the "cost" of the structure.

Was it your personal residence?  If so, the depreciation the LOWER of (a) your Adjusted Basis (usually your original cost, plus cost of improvements, minus any prior depreciation) or (b) the Fair Market Value when it was converted.

And did you factor in the land?  The land is not depreciable, so the amount used for depreciation is the total cost, minus the land (you enter both the total cost and the land into the program).

With all of that in mind, did the preparer use the wrong amount?  If so, yes, you can start using the correct amount now and amend any 'open' prior tax returns to correct it.

Can I correct an incorrect cost basis for a rental property when it is sold? Does IRS allow the change?

Wow you just saved me a ton of time.....so in the "Cost of Property Plus Expenses of Sale" box do I enter how much my property cost plus my commission fees as expenses of sale?  Thank you thank you thank you......my house's FMV was different than my purchase price and you solved my issue.  I bought it in 2008 at the peak of the bubble and when I rented it in 2014 it was still lower than my purchase price.  I used FMV so this year I finally sold for more than I bought it for finally but then it messes up turbo tax.  And you my sir figured it out.

@Carl hey one more thing thank you for your input my purchase price was different than my FMV when I changed it from my residence to a rental.  So in the sale of a rental property portion of TT the "cost of property plus sale expenses" box is that the cost of the property with all my sale fees (i.e. realtor commissions and title fees)?

Carl
Level 15

my purchase price was different than my FMV when I changed it from my residence to a rental.

I have no doubts about that. But your sale is reported using the original purchase price, and not the FMV at the time of conversion. It's depreciation that is based on the "Lower" of the purchase price, or the FMV at the time of conversion to rental. For most, the lower cost will be the original purchase price. If that's your case, you report the sale in the SCH E section of the program. If that's not your case, you report the sale in the Sale of Business Property section of the program.

So in the sale of a rental property portion of TT the "cost of property plus sale expenses" box is that the cost of the property with all my sale fees (i.e. realtor commissions and title fees)?

Where precisely are you reporting the sale? Sch E section or the Sale of Business Property section?

If in the SCH E section, you will have a physically separate box for sales expenses. Also, "you" the seller don't pay title fees. The buyer does. Your sales expenses are basically the sales commission paid to the realtor out of any gain realized by you, and are deductible by you.

Otherwise, if in the Sale of Business Property section, the screen in the desktop version of TTX (which is what I use) does clearly state "cost of property plus sales expenses". So in the SCH E section you enter the cost and sales expenses separately, while in the Sale of Business Property section you do the math yourself, and enter the total of cost plus sales expenses.

@Carl my FMV is 205,000 150,500 house and 54,500 land.......my original purchase price is $280,000 so 74,200 land and 205,800 house.  I was going to do it your way and put it under the sale of business or rental property.  However after reading the internet you have to make sure that section 1250 of form 4797 is filled out for depreciation recapture.  When I put it under the sale of business or rental property it does not fill out section 1250. 

@Carl ok Carl here is what I am finding out.......form 4797 has to have land and the structure separated out.....when selling a rental that has a structure and land associated with it.  The prorated land portion which in my case I used 26.5% for land and 73.5% for the structure.  Part I of 4797 needs to have the land amounts placed on it and Part III of 4797 needs to have the section 1250 filled out for the recapture portion of the gains which is the depreciation.  So TT is not doing it correctly when your FMV is less than the purchase price even though IRS Publication specifically tells you to do this in PUB 527 here is the quote on page 15 of 2020 Pub 527

Figuring the basis. The basis for depreciation
is the lesser of:
• The fair market value of the property on the
date you changed it to rental use; or
• Your adjusted basis on the date of the
change—that is, your original cost or other
basis of the property, plus the cost of permanent additions or improvements since
you acquired it, minus deductions for any
casualty or theft losses claimed on earlier
years' income tax returns and other decreases to basis. For other increases and
decreases to basis, see Adjusted Basis in
chapter 2.

For me I used my tax appraisal of that year.....someone may say that is low but I did not have an appraisal so I went with that number which at the time was probably not far off because the Albuquerque Real Estate Market was terrible one of the worst in the country.  Anyway back to form 4797 when I do it your way it fills out lines 20-24 in Part 3 but does not place the depreciation in Section 1250 for recapture.  But if I try to force it through the schedule E sale in TT and force the original purchase price to match what I paid in 2007 is recalculates my depreciation basis and increases that which is a wrong number.  I have some capital loss carry over that is lower the capital gains anyway.  So here is my numbers.....

Original Cost:  $280,000

Land:  $74,200

Structure:  $205,800

Sale Price:  $289000

Land:  $76,585

Structure:  $212,415

FMV in 2014 when entered into service:  $205,000

FMV of land:  $54,500

FMV Structure:  $150,500 (Depreciation Basis)

Method 1:  When I use $280,000 in schedule E input area of TT it increases my depreciation for 2020 (because it uses $205,800 as a basis and not $150,500) for 6 months which is about $1,100 too high but it fills out for 4797 correctly (Part I land and Part III structure with section 1250 filled out).  This also calculates my capital gains correctly.

Method 2:  Use the sale of business or rental property portal in TT using the correct purchase price of $280,000 plus the settlement statement realtor commission fees and the sale price of $289,000.  I also place my depreciation in this area too.....which based on my FMV $150,500 for 6.5 years is $31,914.  This calculates my gain correctly and provides the correct depreciation in schedule E for calculating those costs.  However, either way TT is messing this up.  I guess I go with Method 1 to high of a depreciation and correct form 4797 or Method 2 correct schedule E with correct depreciation and incorrect form 4797.  But based on my capital loss carryover if I do use Method 2 I think that the actual tax amount is pretty close and it appears I am getting a refund.  Method 1 my refund is approximately $200 higher than Method 2 mainly due to my schedule E being $1,100 more than it should be. 

You need to use Method 2 (report in the "Sale of Business Property" section).

Why do you think doing it that way is showing up wrong?

@AmeliesUncle I checked the form after using method 2 in form 4797 part III it populates line 20-24.  Which calculates my cap gains but it does not place anything in section 1250 in Part III which I think is for depreciation recapture.   I think section 1250 ensures that recapture is taxed at 25% instead of long term tax gain at 15%.  Plus it is taking the 4797 cap gains amount transferring it to schedule D where it is being lowered due carryover capital losses.  I hope this is correct I see no other way.  I was up until 1 am last night.  Now I’m losing more time today.

It would be very rare for anything to be on Line 26.  The rental property itself rarely has depreciation "recapture".  It has "Unrecaptured Section 1250 Gain", which as you pointed out, is taxed at your regular tax bracket, up to 25%.

Line 19 of Schedule D will show your "Unrecaptured Section 1250 Gain".

Ok let me make another run at this with TT.  I will see if line 19 on schedule D gets populated with “unrecaptured capital gain.”  I had to delete my TurboTax file and start over it does not like it when you go into the schedule E and other modules and force changes.  I’m starting with a clean slate.  I will report back.

@AmeliesUncle ok here is the deal when I used the method 1 process it separates out land capital gains on part I and structure in part III that is the only difference between method 1 and method 2 on form 4797.  I think that is the only reason IRS could audit me for not separating out land and structure.  I do not think this has a large impact if anything because I am still adding up all of my settlement statement costs to me and figuring into the amount.  In addition I accounted for depreciation of 31,914 and it did adequately calculate unrecaptured gains of $4,000 after a reduction from my loss carryover on my schedule D.  I am going to save this file of turbo tax and come back to it in a few days.  Then print it out and check the numbers.....but so far I think you are correct.  This is the way to do it if you FMV is less than your purchase price which is the correct way to do it in accordance with IRS Pub 527 as I stated earlier.  It is just a little wonky how TT does it....not as clean but it does it.

I'm surprised it doesn't separate the land sale from the building sale.  But you certainly can just enter them as separate sales so it shows up in the separate sections (when you go into the "Sale of Business Property" section, there should be an option for "land", which would report the land in part 1)

Yeah I still cannot get it to fill out Part I.  TT does not give you a land option on farm land, oil and gas property etc. but not raw land.    I just ran into another problem also.....what do I do with expenses between when it was rented and when it was sold (i.e. interest, utililities, property taxes)?  I guess some people say these go on your schedule E others say they are not deductible.  I had repairs that were a $2300 associated with the closing of the house which is on my settlement statement.  In addition I paid the utilities when the renters moved out currently I have these on my schedule E and TT also calculates my depreciation.  Is all of this correct to place on my schedule E?

Pub 527 states 

Vacant while listed for sale. If you sell property you held for rental purposes, you can deduct the ordinary and necessary expenses for managing, conserving, or maintaining the property until it is sold. If the property isn’t held out and available for rent while listed for sale, the expenses aren’t deductible rental expenses.

The last sentence is confusing because it states "held out" AND "available for rent while listed for sale" then the expenses ARE NOT deductible rental expenses.  Well mine was not held out and available for rent while listed for sale so my expenses ARE deductible rental expenses.

So I guess this is a weakness in TT if your FMV is less than the original purchase price for your rental property then using the sale of business property module does not allow you to fill in the Part I of form 4197.  To really accurately fill in form 4797 you MUST use the schedule E portal but then that does not allow me to use my original purchase price for calculating my sale.  TT sucks in this instance....I mean TT is good but for my specific scenario it is incorrectly calculating.  Now I must factor the risk of an audit versus the cost of paying an accountant to put my taxes together.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies