turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ABS
Level 2

Calculating total passive real estate income in a portfolio (2017)

I am amending a 2017 return and noticed that Turbo Tax was showing positive passive real estate income in the rental section of the return even though combined all my rentals were running a net loss. 

One rental made $4K for the year while all others lost $12K combined, why are my passive loses not offsetting my passive income? Married filing jointly with AGI> $150K if that helps.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any passive loss carryovers from prior to 2017.   check out form 8582.   line 16 should equal line 15.  if not check out your input and 8582 worksheets.   I would agree that losses should offset the income.     

Carl
Level 15

I'm wondering if you're just mis-reading line numbers. I have that happen myself sometimes. Basically, if you have an amount on line 25 of the SCH E, that's your loss for the current tax year.

Carl
Level 15

Oh yeah, one other thing too. If you have more than 3 rentals, then that means you have more than one SCH E. In that case, line 24/25 (whichever applies) only applies to the properties listed on that specific SCH E. So if the property that has a positive cash flow is the only property listed on that particular SCH E, then that particular SCH E will show a taxable gain on line 24.

ABS
Level 2

Line 15 does equal Line 16 on Form 8682, so does that mean I was misreading something and my passive losses are offsetting the passive income? Do I get to carry forward the remaining losses to 2018?

Thanks

Carl
Level 15

As I'm sure you know, each rental is it's own "like-kind" activity to the other rentals. With like-kind activity, the passive losses of one activity will offset the gains of any of the other like-kind activities.  So if you have one rental that shows a $1000 taxable gain and the other three rentals show a $1000 loss each, your total among those like-kind activities will be a $2000 loss.  For rental property the losses just accumulate with each passing year as they are carried forward. So in my example you would add that $2000 loss to any carry-forward losses from last year.

It is not common for rental property to show a gain "on paper" at tax time. In fact, it's more common for rental property to show every increasing losses with each passing year. This is especially true if there's a mortgage on all properties. But if you have for example, one property paid off which means there's no mortgage interest to deduct, that one property very well could show a gain that will start offsetting losses on the other properties.

I'm in that situation now. Paid off one of my three properties a few years back. That one property started showing a taxable profit in the years after that, which took a few years to use up all my losses on the other two properties.Because of that I'm now showing a taxable gain on my rental income. But I don't have a problem with paying taxes on money I get to actually keep.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies