turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bought a home last year and I started renting out a bedroom. How do I claim the income from the rented room?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Bought a home last year and I started renting out a bedroom. How do I claim the income from the rented room?

If you are charging at the fair rental rate and your home is the tenant's main home, it is considered as a rental transaction for business.  You are required to report the rental income and allowed to deduct related rental expenses on Schedule E.  Here are the steps (online):

• After sign in to your account, select Take me to my return 
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in schedule e then Enter 
  • Select Jump to schedule e and follow the prompts

If you rent it for less than 14 days or you are charging rent at below fair rental price, it is not considered as a rental property for business.  Instead, it is treated as a personal-use property.  You would report income as other income on line 21 on Schedule 1 of your Form 1040. Due to the new tax law, no expenses are allowed for deduction. 

• To the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "other reportable income" and Enter
  • Select Jump to other reportable income
  • Next screen, Other Wages Received, select No to continue
  • Next screen, scroll down all the way to the bottom, under Other reportable income, select Start
  • Next screen, Any Other Taxable Income? select Yes to continue

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies