turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending

I have marked my rentals as 'Non-passive income all along' in my taxes.  When I go back to each prior year, and change from non-passive to passive I get the following -

2017 -    Refund of $1100 in Federal and $400 in State
        2018 -    Refund of $20
        2019 -    No Change

1.  Do I need to amend 2018 and 2019 just to show my change from non-passive to passive?

2.   For 2017, if I do an amendment for federal and state, will I need to amend 2018 and 2019 to show the refund amount received from amending 2017?  OR will I just need to report the income I will receive from this amendment in my 2021 taxes.

3.  Both of my rental properties were checked for Qualified Business Income (QBI) deduction.  Is that correct?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Amending

Amend all three years to claim your refund and to have accurate income tax returns for use when you sell the property.  IRS finalizes safe harbor to allow rental real estate to qualify as a business for qualified business income deduction.

TurboTax makes it easy to complete an amend.  You will need to sign into TurboTax on a computer and use the desktop software to prepare the amends.  When you go through your amends, you will find the directions to do that.  Remember that amends have to be signed and mailed.  There will be a cover sheet with the address and any documents to mail with the amend.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies