Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

After importing a 1099-DIV, I see about $1100 in dividends. However, it does not affect my income total and shows $0.00 on the income page for Investments and Savings?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

After importing a 1099-DIV, I see about $1100 in dividends. However, it does not affect my income total and shows $0.00 on the income page for Investments and Savings?

After logging out and back in the income updated.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Could it be that the dividends you imported on your 1099-Div are non-taxable?

Box 1a reports your total ordinary dividend income for the year, whereas, box 1b reports the amount of box 1a that are qualified dividends. If the amount you see in box 1b is zero, it means that all of the dividends you receive during the year will be taxed at the same rates as most of your other income, such as employment wages and the interest you earn in a bank account.

Qualified dividends, on the other hand, receive special tax treatment. Although the IRS never treats your dividend payments as capital assets, your qualified dividends are taxed at capital gains rates. As a result, you will pay either zero or 15 percent tax on the amount reported in box two—but this depends on what your highest tax bracket is.

Here's more info on Taxes on Dividends.   

You could delete your imported dividends and manually enter your 1099-DIV if in doubt. 

@aaron_l_brown 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies