Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

A grant of restricted units from a previous employer vested and paid from a state where I am no longer a resident - I was at the time of the grant. Where do I owe taxes?

I left a GA company in 2014 and moved to Minnesota.  In 2015, I earned income from my previous GA employer for RSU's that vested in 2015.  GA state taxes were withheld on this income.  I was not a GA resident for any part of 2015 although at the time of the grant (2012) I was a full-time resident of GA.  Is this RSU income taxable in the state of GA (residence when the RSU's were granted in 2012) or in my new state of residence (residence when the RSU's vested)?  Thanks a bunch!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RayW1

A grant of restricted units from a previous employer vested and paid from a state where I am no longer a resident - I was at the time of the grant. Where do I owe taxes?

ANSWER

No, this would not create GA income in 2015.  MN will tax this income.  

You will want to file a non-resident return to retrieve the GA withholding.  Please note a common state strategy is to push back on such a filing.  So, be ready for some questions. 

Assuming you did not make an 83(b) election in 2012, there would be no GA income in 2012.

Please note you used the term restricted units and RSU.  These terms are often used interchangeably.  However, restricted units and RSUs have different tax treatments.  RSU are not eligible for 83(b) election.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES

You can view the Georgia residency FAQ for additional information.

taoj
Level 2

I have a similar situation. The RSU was granted while in GA but now I have moved to another state.

The FAQ link does not work -- maybe it was old. Is there an updated one or the reference for how GA calculated RSU granted in the past after moving out-of-state?

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies