Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC for rental property repairs

I need to replace the water heater in my rental property which will cost more than $600. I am not sure how I am going to issue the 1099-NEC form. If it is a local plumber, I don't feel comfortable asking for their social sec number. If it is a corporate, do I need to check their tax status? Also, does it make a difference paying with cash vs check/credit card. Basically, trying to find out how to do this repair without having to file 1099-NEC. Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you are the landlord and are not in the business of property rentals you are not required to issue a Form 1099-NEC to any independent contractor or a service company employee who performs a service on the rental property.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you are the landlord and are not in the business of property rentals you are not required to issue a Form 1099-NEC to any independent contractor or a service company employee who performs a service on the rental property.

Carl
Level 15

What @DoninGA said is correct. However, you can issue one if you desire. Sometimes folks elect to issue the 1099-NEC to unincorporated contractors as a way of supporting their claim to the QBI deduction. It's really not necessary though.

@Vic14 wrote:

If it is a local plumber, I don't feel comfortable asking for their social sec number. If it is a corporate, do I need to check their tax status?

Also, does it make a difference paying with cash vs check/credit card.

If your rental DOES rise to the level of a trade or business, then ...

You give the plumber a W-9 to fill out.  They could use their EIN instead of their Social Security Number.  Or they may check the box that they are a corporation, so no 1099-NEC would be required.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

Yes, if you pay by credit card, you would not need to issue a 1099-NEC because the credit card payments fall under different rules (the credit card merchant may issue the plumber a 1099-K).

Pay by credit card and avoid the need for a 1099 completely. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies