Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1099-B Worksheet Error: Keep asking "Date Acquired must be entered for xxx"

I contacted then and they were not able to resolve the issue. They need to check with IRS to resolve this issue that will take them to fix late March. you can find here full details.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-fix-my-1099-b-negative-values/01/1949150#...

I hit the same issue.

Also, the section displaying the 1099-B is messed up with a lot of 'disabled' radio buttons and checkboxes. I tried Chrome and IE, both shows the same dialog

I cannot believe it is what the team wants to show to us.

And seems the code reviewer, the PM and QA were all on vacation... terrible management

I called on 2/20/21 and tech support indicated there was an open case

Called again today (2/27/21) and now was told this error will not be fixed until late March

I tried deleting & manually entering the one transaction that comes up in the "review error" but that did not work.  Sounds like you need to completely delete the whole import.

Very frustrating.  Not crazy about manually entering all my transactions.

FWIW, I did the suggested delete all sales after importing thing and manually entered 70+ lines from the 1099-B.

Once done I was able to get past the loop and file. 

It's a real shame I had to pay for the privilege.

Same problem after importing from Webull

benwa97

The deleting and manually importing method does work. I can also confirm that instead of deleting the entire entry and manually reentering everything you can hit the edit button and change box 1b to "something other than a date" then select various.

This does work. I had to go through every single line to find which ones were marked as “various” and then manually adjust the line in turbo tax - the line that was giving me the “date acquired” error didn’t even end up being an issue

After you delete your imported 1099 transactions, there is an easier work around.  When you manually enter your brokerage statement, you have a choice to "Enter Sales Section Totals" versus entering each transaction. 

Then it will ask you to download the PDF of your 1099-B form from your brokerage statement to get filed with your return.  Saved all the work of entering many transactions.   This worked for me and I was able to bypass the error message.  

PISI
Returning Member

Thank you @tkind , that saves lots of time 🙂

By the way, when I submit the e-file, it didn't ask me to upload the PDF of my 1099-B form... weird

Thank you! @tkind This is THE answer. I'm sick of the "clear cookies, clear cache, try a different browser" non-answers! The problem is in the TurboTax software...

So frustrating!

I imported my 1099 from M1 Finance and had 200+ sales and was NOT about to enter them manually. Why am I paying for this software to then do it manually?

For others with this issue:

1.) Delete your imported 1099.

2.) Click "Add more sales"

3.) I selected "Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds" since I'm entering a M1 Finance 1099. Continue.

4.) Laugh at the "Get ready to be impressed" and click continue.

5.) Click "I'll type it myself."

6.) Fill out the lines should be self-explanatory.

7.) Answer yes or no. For me no.

8.) Select "More than a few sales (4+)" This will allow you to enter totals and not every frickin' individual line...

9.) You should be able to take it from here... At the end it will ask you to upload a PDF of your 1099 for documentation.

Thanks again @tkind !!!

OK... The frustration continues...

TurboTax wants me to snail mail in form 8453 and form 8949 along with my 1099 from M1.

Jesus Christ all because of a software bug. Huge sigh... I've got to remember all this for next year and investigate other tax filing options.

What was the point of uploading the PDF?

shdw
Level 2

Hello all, first time posting here after about 10 hours now working at this issue. I believe I can add some context as well as provide assistance to the rest in fixing the issue.

Who is Responsible and What is the Problem?

Let's start with what was already said, this is not specific to a certain trading platform. It is an import error specific to certain clearinghouse's these platforms use. From what I've read here it would seem it's related to National Securities and Apex Clearinghouse. These are the preferred for a number of the new millennial style trading platforms like M1, Robinhood, Stash, etc.

The problem is an import error with Turbo tax. It isn't your operating system, nor if it is updated, supported, or whatever else the "expert" on the phone tries to have you check. As I told them on the phone last night 2 hours in: Checking your OS with this error is akin to checking your circuit breakers when the power is out because the pole outside is laying on the ground. Hint: It's not your breakers! 

What Import Data is Effected

As noted in this post, one error is the Date Acquired (Box 1b) and it is specifically related to stocks labeled as "Various." Another post here noted errors with the Wash Sale (Box 1g) and I found that the "Sales selection" box was also being left blank.

If you're lucky enough to have a more mainstream company like Schwab, TD, Fidelity, etc to compare to you will quickly find that all of their information imports correctly. Find a stock that has various and turbotax is selected to various. Likewise with wash sales. Finally, note the sales selection (For short term covered stocks) in the table view on turbo tax it should say Box A. Every stock like this from my Apex clearinghouse said Box B incorrectly. Box 1b for Date Acquired was left blank. 

The Fix

1) If you're a trader like me most of your reporting will be short term covered basis. Turbotax is not importing this data correctly at all and the fix is simple: remember when I mentioned the chart view showing Box B? Well it should be showing Box A anytime you have a covered short term transaction. Go through each one individually make sure the first drop down in turbotax for "Sales selection" is correctly selected to "Short-term basis reported to IRS (covered)." Note: I didn't have long term gains in this report to check so I cannot verify if that is or isn't an issue. Look at your tax document and just make sure the type of gains match the turbotax selection. 

2) Look through your stocks for all stocks listed as Various for their date acquired. One by one go through and correct their selection in turbotax by going to box 1b, clicking "something other than a date", and in the drop down select "Various (or more than one date)." This will correct the error related to Date Acquired.

3) If you get wash sale errors do the same thing for stocks listed as having wash sales. In turbotax one of the last boxes to check says "I have other boxes on my 1099-B to enter", click it. It will populate a few more boxes including box 1g for "Wash sale loss disallowed", fill your wash loss value in here. 

Important Step Here:Once all this is done don't just go back to review or some other section. Make sure you click continue through the entire tax process (the next page will be something like "let's check your capital gains so far"). If you don't complete the process this way then it won't trigger turbotax to redo it's review process. If you did this part correctly then when you click review on the left side it should show the turbotax lady in the banner that says "Let's get ready for your expert review." After which it does that fun little wait period where it looks like it's reviewing stuff. 

If you click review and it goes straight to the old error without doing a new review then you skipped the important step above. 😉

Hopefully this helps all of you and have a great day. Time to finally finish filing and get out of here!!!

Kayotee

THANK YOU @shdw.  Excellent write up, worked perfectly.  Still took me nearly 2 hours to do, so I'm still upset with Turbo Tax, but still better than any other alternative.  Thanks for sharing.

The most infuriating aspect of all this is TurboTax lobbies the government to keep taxes this frustrating... We're all struggling to use TurboTax's glitchy software to send the IRS information that the IRS already has.

zjbond

THIS Worked, Thank you so much. After three calls from technical support and no answers was finally able to submit using this method. Thanks 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies