turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1031 exchange of rental properties. How do I enter the mortgage paid off on the sell side?

I did a 1031 exchange of rental properties.  I paid off the mortgage on the sold property $22,000.

The worksheet asks for "The value of the mortgages / loans transferred or paid off as part of the sale"  The loan pay off was $22,000

In the Line 15 Calculations Smart Worksheet - the $22,000 also appears under Line D  "Mortgage assumed by the other party"

I just paid off the $22,000 mortgage when I sold.  It didn't transfer to the person who bought the first house.

How do I remove the assumed by the other party entry?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

1031 exchange of rental properties. How do I enter the mortgage paid off on the sell side?

do not enter the $ 22,000 loan payment as "The value of the mortgages/loans TRANSFERRED..." because it implies the  other exchanger ( the buyer) in the transaction either assumed the loan or paid off as part of the buying process.  Generally what is happening in a delayed exchange , you  employ a qualified intermediary ( QI), whom sells the give-up property and holds the net amounts ( even though you may be doing a lot of the leg work and signing).  Thus the  given up property is held subject to zero  mortgages  outstanding. You get to carry the unused depreciation, the un-taxed gain when you acquire the  new property -- again the  QI buys it for you  and does a simultaneous swap of ownership thus achieving the 1031 exchange .   Does this look like your situation ?

Me260

I exchanged several like kind property by way of a 1031. How do i continue the depreciation onto the acquired property

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The depreciation asset for the property given up in the Section 1031 exchange remains the same without change.  It must go forward for the new property as though it is the same real estate (you could rename it).

Note: To complete a 1031 exchange and avoid taxes completely, you need to spend at least as much on a replacement property as you receive for the original property. If you sell a property for $1 million, you’ll need to spend at least $1 million on the replacement property to defer all taxes. You can spend more than this, but not less.

Depreciation Rules for Section 1031 Exchange:  The following information is included for clarification.

The basic concept of a 1031 exchange is that the basis of your old property rolls over to your new property. In other words, if you sold your old property for $100,000, and bought your New Property for the same, your basis on the new property would be the same. It makes sense then that your depreciation schedule would be exactly the same, which it is. In other words, you continue your depreciation calculations as if you still own the old property (your acquisition date, cost, previous depreciation taken, and remaining undepreciated basis remain the same).

In a case where there are several properties in exchange for one property, and if you did want to separate them, the best way to divide the asset cost basis is by determining a percentage of cost basis for each property.  Then setting them up exactly as the one asset is now (assumes there was one property and now four). To do this you can use the tax assessed value of each property and divide that by the total value of all properties to arrive at the percentage for each property.  Then use that percentage against your old property cost basis (land should be accounted for separately using the same method).

If you pay additional money in the exchange or have improvements to the new property, then that alone becomes a new asset for depreciation and begins it's 27.5 year recovery on the date of the exchange. And if  you decide to separate the properties, use the same method.

@Me260

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies