turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How to start investing

There are many investment instruments for you to choose from. The most popular include:

Stocks

• A stock is a share of ownership in a company. Stock prices move based on investors’ evaluation of the company’s performance, including leadership changes, new product releases or how it’s doing financially.
  • Companies issue stock to the public to raise money to grow or pay off debt. Stocks are also known as equities.

Bonds

• A bond is essentially a loan to a company or government entity, which agrees to pay you back in a certain number of years. In the meantime, you get interest.
  • Bonds generally are less risky than stocks because you know exactly when you’ll be paid back and how much you’ll earn.

Mutual funds

• A mutual fund is a mix of investments managed by an individual company. When you invest, you don’t choose specific stocks or other securities; the mutual fund does it for you. The inherent diversification of mutual funds makes them generally less risky than individual stocks, but there are mutual funds available at all risk levels.
  • Popular mutual funds include index funds, which follow the performance of a particular stock market index, and money market funds, which invest in short-term, low-risk assets.

Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs)

• An ETF is a basket of securities — stocks, bonds, commodities or some combination of these — that you buy and sell through a broker. They combine the diversification benefits of mutual funds with the trading ease of stocks and are available at various risk levels.
  • Index funds are also common among ETFs — and they generally carry lower associated management fees than mutual funds.

Regards,

Adrian

Tax Consultant

How to start investing

You need to be willing to take a huge risk which is involved with investments. Be prepared to lose what you invest. Thus, only invest a certain amount that you are willing to part with. That is the first main factor to consider and the rest will fall into place.

How to start investing

Money doesn’t grow on trees, it can grow when save and invest wisely. Knowing how to secure financial well-being is one of the most important things never ever need in life. In this saving and investing brochure, will cover the basics on saving and investing. 

How to start investing

Everything you need to know starting out as a noob can be found here. https://www.investopedia.com/

If you plan on "Social Trading" sites as I refer to then such as stocktwits or social wall street and yahoo beware of "pumpers" #1 Rule. Trade YOUR style of trading and don't chase bc of FOMO. You trade the trend and what is moving.  Cut your losses quickly and let your winners run. Best of Luck!

How to start investing

at ethraa, we provide the opportunity for investments. you can invest in solar financing and in renewable energy. for more details visit our site by clicking here

How to start investing

Check out the organization American Association of Individual Investors (AAII). They are non-profit, unbiased, and impartial. Buy a 1-year subscription and you will learn things.

Beware of organizations like Motley Fool, who will make you pay for each bit of advice. They are in it for their own profit more than yours.

How to start investing

The following summary from the article “Investment Advice to a World Champ” by prominent investment analyst Dr. Steve Sjuggerud is not only great advice for beginners, but is also a good reminder to the more experienced:

1. Nobody will care more about your situation than you, so never hand off your finances completely.
2. There is no magic bullet or shortcut. (The "hot tip" doesn't exist.)
3. If you don't understand it, don't buy it. (If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.)
4. Buy investments that are cheap, hated, and in the start of an uptrend.
That's it. Remember these points, and take control of your wealth.

Note: To help determine what is “cheap, hated, and the start of an uptrend” see bigcharts.com. Just type your ticker symbol in the upper left field, click “Draw Chart” and you will see past and current market direction.

Wishing you all the best of good buys,

Marketstar

MrsTapia
Returning Member

How to start investing

I would like help investing my tax refund.

How to start investing

1.  Have 3-6 months of living expenses in a savings or money market account. 
2.  Max out contributions to any employer retirement plan you have and start an IRA. 
3.  Determine your risk tolerance by using an asset allocation calculator you can find online from institutions like Vanguard and Fidelity. 
4. Based on what your allocation is, invest in low cost index stock and bond funds. 
5.  Rebalance your allocation when it varies by 5 percentage points so you will be forced to sell high and buy low. 
6. Ignore advice to make a quick killing in an investment you don’t understand 

7. Don’t buy an asset because a neighbor, friend, or relative told you how great it is. 

How to start investing

Hi Brian,

I have been wanting to build a stock portfolio for a while now, and I am going to start when taxes come. I have a few ideas about what i want to invest in such as the "new craze" cannabis companies that are established with a good portfolio and business plan, but not one of the big ones that have already are a fortune to invest in, but someone with great potential and in a state that supports their business, also my thinking is when marijuana gets passed in all 52 states and trust me it will, that stock will provide a huge return! It isnt going to happen yet, but many states little by little will eventually come around because the money their state will benefit from, and they will join the ranks...also I am looking for businesses that are just starting out, online shopping is big...but you must research research research! Do your homework...afterall its your money depending on your smart moves 🙂 hope this helps..

How to start investing

Hi there!

Thanks for the info! I am not really knowledgeable about investing or stocks but I'm  very interested to know more. Any references and information books that you can recommend? 

Regards!     

How to start investing

Common sense on mutual funds by John Bogle and Four Pillars of Investing by William Bernstein. 

bgrowe20

How to start investing

I started at 60, very late, I did get my 401 to $200,000, am trying for 300,000. I think a person  can live on that amount from the RMD withdrawals. $500,000 would even better, depends what you want to give up, and put in as much as the government will let you, right now over 59 1/2 is $16,500 or $3000 a month in a 401 account,  Not that many people can do that but 15 to 20% of pay check is usually is good. Where I work most people put their money in the bond fund, were afraid to loose money,  and didn't get very much to retire on, after 20 or even 30 years.  The ones who put their money into the stock fund in 2008 and 2009 became millionaires after 10 years. I got a 30% increase in my funds one year through the stock fund, and now down about 6 1/2 percent this year.  You don't loose until you move your  money to the safer fund, and hopefully you get back into the market funds at a good time. 65 - 40 is 25 years, if this market goes back up like I think it will, you should have not problem. Don't be afraid to  loose money, think of it as a paper loss. If you you can start a Roth that is $6000 a year the government will let you put, in equals $500 hundred a month. Find an index fund or as Buffet says to can pick 3 stocks and reinvest the dividends, favorite stocks that have been around a long time Chevron, McDonald, Coke, Pepsi, toothpaste and soap. Proctor and gamble, all these companies have been around a long time and rise their dividends every year. The index fund can produce any where from 8% percent to 12 percent per year.  Wish you luck. No bills to do this, no car payment, no credit card payments, pay off the house if possible. This may sound hard, but when do you want to retire. By the way if you do this right, by booking out the 401, the 401 could make more money than you get paid at work. I have seen people do this but I didn't make it. One has to retire at some point, Buffet is doing pretty well.

GrandDad

How to start investing

If you are getting a tax refund! You are not doing it right! You should be investing that money Monthly. that helps you study what you are investing in and if you see that what you are doing is not right for you then change it! Never invest in anything you do not know. there are a lot of good companies that are priced at all investment levels. Find a good company and learn all you can find out about it and the reason the price may change and by how much. Then invest in it or find another. There will always be good deal. ETF and Mutual funds are set up to insure you will not loose to much but you will not make very much either but they are safe. If you have to pay taxes at the end of the year most individual stock you can cash out in less than a week. the federal gov. does not pay you interest on any money they hold for you to file at the end of the year! Good luck

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies