turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cash out refi

several years ago I took out a $10k personal loan to pay for some home improvements. In 2022 I took out a cash out refinance with the intention of using the cash out funds for home improvements. Can I use the refi cash to pay off the previous persona;lloan since it was on the same house?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RaifH
Expert Alumni

cash out refi

No, not if you want to have the interest on that portion of the debt deductible. According to the IRS, the refinance would have to have been done within 90 days of the completion of the work to qualify as home acquisition debt.

Of course, you may still use your refinance to pay off your personal loan even if it is not within that 90-day window. However, it is treated as home equity debt, which is currently not deductible. TurboTax will calculate the deductible and non-deductible portions of your mortgage when you enter the information. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RaifH
Expert Alumni

cash out refi

No, not if you want to have the interest on that portion of the debt deductible. According to the IRS, the refinance would have to have been done within 90 days of the completion of the work to qualify as home acquisition debt.

Of course, you may still use your refinance to pay off your personal loan even if it is not within that 90-day window. However, it is treated as home equity debt, which is currently not deductible. TurboTax will calculate the deductible and non-deductible portions of your mortgage when you enter the information. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies