turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Home loans
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
or Ask a Question
I paid a huge amount of Capital Gains Tax last year from selling my primary residence property in November 2022, and then bought a new house (my new primary residence) in November 2023. I read this is a "1031 Exchange" (a tax break for when you use y... read more
ATao ‎Posted 2 weeks ago | Latest post 2 weeks ago by xmasbaby0
Hi, After entering the mortgage interest paid, there is a section for "Tell us about how you've used this loan" with the following question: Since you first took out this loan, how much has been spent to buy, improve, or build the home it's secured b... read more
young11 ‎Posted 2 weeks ago | Latest post 2 weeks ago by zomboo
Hi,I sold stock in 2023 (and received capital gains) to fund a down payment on my first house. I did not however seem to receive any tax benefit (for the home purchase) and instead paid a significant federal tax on the capital gains. I thought I woul... read more
NM1126 ‎Posted 4 weeks ago | Latest post 4 weeks ago by xmasbaby0
Need clarification about mortgage interest deduction.The acquisition debt is approximately $350,000. Did a cash out refi of $419,000.$40,000 was used for home improvement. The balance of $29,000 was used towards purchase of land. It is my understandi... read more
mjm77 ‎Posted March 15, 2024 | Latest post 4 weeks ago by zomboo
I entered mortgage interest deduction on TT and it did not transfer to Schedule A. I'm using 2023 Premier TT. It is my understanding, I can continue to deduct the interest on the existing loan balance, less the small cash out that I did on a refi cas... read more
mjm77 ‎Posted March 15, 2024
Can my mortgage closing cost can be deductible on rental property? Like title company’s charge and mortgage points.
Lynda Zhang ‎Posted March 15, 2024
Hi!Hoping to get some help. I opened up a HELOC in 2017 used it for an initial purchase of a house (we are renting and still have) and then paid it off in a month (due to another sale). It's been $0 for 5 or 6 years until I used the HELOC to buy a se... read more
cgb808 ‎Posted February 25, 2024 | Latest post February 26, 2024 by KrisD15
Hi, I co-own a home with my wife. We are both listed parties on the 1098 mortgage interest forms sent to use by our lender for 2023. Her name is at the top and mine underneath. My question is if my wife is going to take the full amount on the 1098 as... read more
NeilLott ‎Posted January 26, 2024 | Latest post January 26, 2024 by NeilLott
Hello,My wife and I got married this year 2023 and we each have had a home in our names individually. We sold my wife's house one week after we got married this year (equity from sale less than amount to trigger CapGains), but she also has another ho... read more
cashmir316 ‎Posted May 24, 2023 | Latest post May 27, 2023 by NCperson
I took out a mortgage loan to buy the empty lot next door. Just using for personal use. I received a 1098. Can I deduct the loan interest and real estate taxes?Thanks Doug
carbo71 ‎Posted April 4, 2023 | Latest post May 1, 2023 by Opus 17
Hi I purchased a house in September 2021 for the purpose of rental. I started renovation on this house right after closing and the renovation lasted about a year. In September 2022, the property is available for rent. However, my mortgage interest an... read more
lindan86 ‎Posted April 3, 2023 | Latest post April 3, 2023 by DavidD66
The cell for me to insert my mortgage interest already shows a figure within it. I am unable to delete that figure to insert the accurate amount. I am using Turbo Tax Deluxe.
jsc8 ‎Posted March 20, 2023 | Latest post March 20, 2023 by DoninGA
Hello all, We sold our primary residence in 2022 and bought our new primary residence. I am attempting to input the information from the sale of our previous home and have come across the adjusted cost basis section. I began entering information from... read more
afremendowski ‎Posted February 27, 2023 | Latest post February 27, 2023 by Vanessa A
I sell on ebay under a single account with my own SS. This last year I sold off a bunch of items I inherited in addition to my regular "business" sales. My single 1099-K covers everything. I file my taxes under my SS using T-Tax Home & Business. I ha... read more
CombatWombat ‎Posted February 13, 2023 | Latest post February 24, 2023 by CombatWombat
Retired, taking standard deduction again this year should I pay off my mortgage with my IRA?
Turtletop ‎Posted February 13, 2023 | Latest post February 22, 2023 by Opus 17
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies