turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone else having problem e-filing with IRS Form 2210 under tax reform

Thanks CharlieP

Was the waiver explanation attached?

It is now the waited for date 2/22/19.  Is it correct to say the software update from yesterday did NOT fix IRS Form 2210 issue?  Can anyone confirm please?  

I can’t take credit for this as I read it in another thread but the solution for me was to edit my 2017 tax liability and change it to 0. That eliminates the 2210 forms and my return was accepted within 10 minutes. Like most of you I had no penalty but the 2210 was being generated anyway.
MJB
Level 2

MJB here

my rejection came back this afternoon= 

I am not sure if the last one I submitted had the explanation form- it would  not print out for me but appeared on the "list" of my last version. 

- I will try to resubmit again  tomorrow - =with the update from today

one more time and if that does not work

I will  just use the blank forms I downloaded from IRS  for the 2210 and the explanation, and 

and USPS mail the return. 

I am expecting a large refund - and the whole idea of a penalty crazy. 

MJB

MJB
Level 2

Charlie P

my last version submission on Wednesday was officially rejected today. 

That is rejection number 5.

tomorrow I will try again with the updated software  and see if that works.

If not I will just use the blank forms I down loaded from the IRS  web site and mail the return with the correct information and explanations

and copies of the replies from turbo tax. 

I hope you have better luck as I know state taxes filed electronically need you to have an IRS official acceptance.

Luckily in Florida I am not doing state income tax. 

MJB

MJB
Level 2

Big Red

was your reply after using the new updates released today? 

if so then USPS will for sure be my route.

Thanks for the info that yours are still showing the same.

This after noon before I got the update I did get the 5th official rejection(this week)  of my 1040 for 2018. 

MJB

MJB
Level 2

I tried that yesterday and while the explanation appears to be included 

it will not print and ? may or may not be attached.

My latest submission (not using todays updated software) was rejection 5 for me of my 1040 from the IRS

I will try again with the new software update from today but am not confident that the explanation I got of the fixes include teh entire problem with the 2210 form. 

MJB
Level 2

10-1 Kids

Friday update

rejection 5 of my 1040 tax submission to IRS from TT came this afternoon

just before the official update

I have not tried the software update and will give it a whirl tomorrow but am prepared to just use blank IRS downloaded forms (filled out by hand)  and use USPS to mail to IRS.

The description of the "fix" I do not think covers all the problems we have uncovered. 

TurboTax 2018 release notes for Windows personal tax software
Here's what's in the latest TurboTax for Windows CD/Download personal (individual) software update (R18) released Thursday, February 21:Fixed - Unable to clear final review error Form 2210: Part II, Box A should not be checked, the penalty is zero Fixed - No entry field for adjusted mortgage interest Fixed - Incorrect line number reference on Form 2210 error message Fixed - Unable to clear line 33 error resulting from transferred Form 4835 Fixed - Smartcheck error Some values are too large and have caused calculation errors when state/local taxes exceed $100K Fixed - Wrong tax year referenced on Form 8889 line 18 smart worksheet Fixed - Unable to elect section 179 on new roof for commercial property (H&B only) IRS forms 2210-F and 8903 finalized (underlined) Who wants to give it a try and report back? I still don't trust TT to have this fixed

MJB

MJB,

I am using the online version and just looked at it again at 8PM Central time on 2/22/19.  It is still showing a check mark on Box A of form 2210 for an 85% waiver, even though I have a refund coming. It will also not let me change the explanation form to anything other than "85% waiver". I must file form 2210 because I make variable estimated payments.  I went ahead and just did my first efile  to see if the IRS will accept the return even with the Box A check mark.  If not, I will wait longer before giving up and paper filing, if for no other reason than to see if there are any other errors in the TT software that I will need to correct by hand.  I can't believe I paid good money for this grief.

Shockingly I just got the email notice that my efile was accepted by the IRS. That was done with TT online.  I had a slight refund due but had Form 2210 filled out because I make variable estimated payments. Box A and Box C were checked, and there was an explanation line automatically attached to my form stating:

Form 2210: Underpayment of Estimated Tax
Part II Explanation Statement
Waiver of Penalty
85% Waiver

S_C_T-Bone
Returning Member

I have spent literally all day, about 9 1/2 hours, including two 1+ hour calls with TT techies, and I am no further along than when I started.

Finished my taxes late last night, e-filed, and woke up this morning to "rejected" messages for both Federal and State (State rejects because the Fed did).  Went through the software's "we'll fix it for you" thing three times, each time re-filing, and each time getting rejected again.  Finally, one of the TT techies had me completely uninstall my TT because I had loaded it from a CD instead of downloading.  The techie then sent me a download, which I did, and I am in the exact same place.  Both my Fed and State returns have four-figure refunds, so obviously I am subject to any underpayment penalty, but I still can't get rid of the Form 2210 - like chewing gum on te bottom of a shoe.

I have used TT for many years, and this experience is a first.  It just seems that TT is not stepping up and getting a fix out as soon as it seems they ought to be doing, given that we are in the heat of the tax season.

MJB
Level 2

BIG RED

WOW what great news you are sharing !! 

Did you use the new updated software today and ALREADY have an acceptance?? 

That is so encouraging.  

I have a big refund coming - and think (too late tonight to go pull it out) that my last rejection from this morning had both box a and c checked - I am not sure teh electronic explanation was attached - as i could not print it

THANK you as you inspire me to get up and try it in the morning and not rush off to the post office to USPS file with my hand filled out blank forms form the IRS web site.   I sure hope this will complete this frustration for us all. Its been great getting to know you and sharing  our attempts.  I appreciate your late night update. 

MJB

S_C_T-Bone
Returning Member

I am replying to my own message below.........

I JUST DISCOVERED A WORKAROUND THAT SEEMS TO GET RID OF THE PROBLEM !!!

Go to the Form 2210, Part II and right click on the Box A...  Hit Override, the "X" in the box goes to red (to show it is overriden), click on the box once more and the Box A gets cleared, and Form 2210 goes away.

Can I send TT a bil for research and development?  HA !

Good luck and good night everyone.

MJB
Level 2

S_C_T bone

I so share your frustration. I got my rejection number 5 today and have spent the whole week on it - hours with TT and with IRS. 

I hope this new computer software update will fix it - but i am skeptical and agree as a decades long user of TT since it was DOS not windows I think in the beginning with  the start of quicken.   

The fix explanation of the 2210 problem does not encourage me - with my problem - I had underpaid 2017 but am getting a 5 figure refund this year and have no idea why the penalty and the 2210 is showing up - only the first page not page 2 or 3 or teh explanation page.

I have not redone with todays software update and I too used the CD  not download.  so tomorrow wi will see 

but i was also encouraged by  this update from big red tonight that his latest return was ACCEPTED tonight. 

Look for the post from big red tonight that the latest one for that situation was done using new software and it was already accepted.  Keep me posted please 

MJB

Hi MJB,

big red (Member) posted a new reply in Get your taxes done using TurboTax on 02-22-2019 07:13 PM :

Re: Anyone else having problem e-filing with IRS Form 2210 under tax reform

Shockingly I just got the email notice that my efile was accepted by the IRS. That was done with TT online.  I had a slight refund due but had Form 2210 filled out because I make variable estimated payments. Box A and Box C were checked, and there was an explanation line automatically attached to my form stating:

Form 2210: Underpayment of Estimated Tax
Part II Explanation Statement
Waiver of Penalty
85% Waiver

MJB
Level 2

S_C_T_bone 

thanks for this - just a clarification 

was this with the NEW software update tonight ??

or did it work with the old buggy version? 

because if they changed the old one - i wonder if your HEALING TRICK 

will work with the software changes ?? 

MJB

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies