glerbnik84

"Special situations" on completing an Amended Return

I have to file an amended return for 2019.  I came to a screen with a list of Special Situations that you are to check if any apply.  The last one says:  "The IRS instructions want a printed text at the top of form 1040x for a circumstance different than listed above."

Do I go to IRS website and review the instructions for an amended return?  If so, where in the IRS 1040-x instructions would I find the other circumstances.

Thank you.

macuser_22

There is no list  other then the 1040X instructions page 5 - it is any other special circumstance that you might have that is not on the list.    Only you know what your special circumstance is.  (One common special circumstance is if you can be a dependent and you claimed yourself - there is no form to amend to report that, it can only be entered as a special circumstance as the reason for amending.) 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf

macuser_22

glerbnik84

Thank you for clarifying this for me.  I was confused by what I was reading on that screen in TurboTax.  Now I get it, thanks to the reply you posted.